cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Domain Boost and Accelerator

paulo7
Level 4

Hi!

Our customer is using NBU and DD with boost technology.
We are considering a using Accelerator with NBU and DD boost.

Question:
---------
1. Is it supported or not? (NBU accelerator working with DD Boost protocol?)
2. Do DD Boost is working with client side dedup? 

(Between client/server or between client/DD
   (i know it can work from media server to DD.)

Thanks in advance!

BR:
Paul

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi Paul

1. In general yes, accelerator is supported with Data Domain - the devil is in the detail  though, refer to the hardware compatibility list under OST vendors to ensure the combination of version includes the accelerator feature.
2. No, client side dedupe is not possible (client side dedupe is only available with MSDP).

Cheers
David

View solution in original post

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

One more thing to consider before going all in on accelerator. If you enable it, the backups will be super fast. You'll be able to backup full VMs and File Systems in minutes, millions and millions of files backup up at (hopefully) GB/sec speed. Everyday millions and millions of files.

Such speed is great, but what impact does it have on the size of the catalog? Keep that in mind.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi Paul

1. In general yes, accelerator is supported with Data Domain - the devil is in the detail  though, refer to the hardware compatibility list under OST vendors to ensure the combination of version includes the accelerator feature.
2. No, client side dedupe is not possible (client side dedupe is only available with MSDP).

Cheers
David

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

One more thing to consider before going all in on accelerator. If you enable it, the backups will be super fast. You'll be able to backup full VMs and File Systems in minutes, millions and millions of files backup up at (hopefully) GB/sec speed. Everyday millions and millions of files.

Such speed is great, but what impact does it have on the size of the catalog? Keep that in mind.

Hi! 

Thanks for your reply! 

1. How is the accelerator works with DD? It reserves an extra space on it? I dont know much more about it.

BR: 

Pal

Hi! 

Thanks! 

Could you write me how is the Accelarator technically works if we use DD? 

Do we use DD with boost or with OST? If you can write down the technical details in the case of 

DD and Boost it will be helpful.

BR:
Pal

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

How the NetBackup Accelerator works (in general):

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/18716246-126559472-0/v64540182-126559472

Looks like no-one knows the secrets of how Accelerator works with DD - even @Nicolai   ;)

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/NBU-Accelerator-for-DataDomain/td-p/591104

As for advice on where, and if, you can use Accelerator with DD Boost, then we cannot anwer that because you have not described your hardware / configuration / topology / versions in sufficient detail.  Tell us in good detail about your environment and someone might be able to comment on your options and feasibility.

sdo

Hi!

Do you konw some limit of MDSP pool?

1. I heard it can be 64 Tb is size.

2. It is also true if a customer is using a DD appliance?

BR:
Pal

sdo

Home grown MSDP can be larger now, 250 TB:

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100038442

NetBackup Appliances can have far larger MSDP.

MSDP and DD do not mix.  MSDP can reside on NetBackup Appliance, or on disk LUNs (local, direct, SAN, virtual) attached or presented to supported OS on self-created servers.  Data Domain is a completely different proprietary storage platform.

sdo

I wonder if you are trying to find out whether a NetBackup Client can use DDBoost to achieve a form of client-side dedupe to Data Domain ?

...then yes, see:

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/can-we-send-data-directly-to-Data-domain-using-Enterprise-clien...

...but not for a plain and simple traditional boring NetBackup Client... i.e. you can use DDBoost if you "uprate" your "client" to be a form of "super-client" (client on steroids) which is known as a "NetBackup SAN Media Server", which requires a "super-client" license known as a "NetBackup Enterprise Client" license.

Hey Paul

The way accelerator operates at the client level is a NetBackup feature - depending on the type of backup will vary the way NetBackup keeps track of what needs to be backed up each time (for instance Windows change journal, VMware CBT logs etc.) - there is nothing different at the client end between what MSDP and DD. Now how the DD manages to then provide the complete image is something you would need to find out from them - there have been a couple of links provided by @sdo and others if you want to find out.
DDboost is a way that DD offloads the deduplication load from the backend DD to the server running the plugin - similar to how client-side deduplication or optimized duplication operates with MSDP.
I don't believe using DDBoost is a requirement to use DD with OST, but it will reduce network traffic and load on the DD if you do.