cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Retentions: Regular and SLP backups?

Robert-J
Level 2

Is this correct?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My understanding is the data retention of a fullbackup is independent of differentials or cumulative backups that are dependent upon it.  I.E the full backup knows nothing about diffs or cumulatives that rely on it for a full recover and the image will expire as set in the schedule. 

If you take weekly full backups this means that you have to specify the full to have a retention period of one week longer than the daily diff or cumulative. 

Example if you have a 21 day retention for cumulatives you need a 28 day retention for the fulls.  If you have restore a box 20 days ago and it is a Thursday all you have is the cumulative to work with but no full backup to recover the rest of the system.

When you add SLP to the policy and you want same retention periods this means:

• Create one SLP wijt the full backup retention and another SLP for the diffs or cumlatives.
  • In the backup policy the default SLP would be the one for the diffs or cumulatives
  • In the Full schedule you have to override that SLP with SLP with the full backup retention period

This is probably true if SLP retention period is not the same as the primary backup

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Robert-J
Level 2

This makes sense and cofirmed my reasoning

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

rookie11
   VIP   

data retention of a fullbackup is independent of differentials or cumulative backups -TRUE

he full backup knows nothing about diffs or cumulatives -yes

When you add SLP to the policy and you want same retention periods this means:

• Create one SLP wijt the full backup retention and another SLP for the diffs or cumlatives.  yes
  • In the backup policy the default SLP would be the one for the diffs or cumulatives -  it depends u give SLP for full or Diff.
  • In the Full schedule you have to override that SLP with SLP with the full backup retention period--- as per previous point -- if mention SLP diff in policy attributes then tick mark override option in full schedule and mention full SLP.

Robert-J
Level 2

This makes sense and cofirmed my reasoning

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Robert-J - you should be choosing Rookie11's post as the solution, not your own.