cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deduple metadata backup

smart2011
Level 4

Hi,

We are using NetBackup 7.1 dedupe option to store the backup of different applicaitons. i want to make sure to take the backup of NetBackup deduple meta data and database. 

i was wondering what is the procedure/best practices to take the backup of Dedupe metadata/database. Is it sufficient if i take the backup of catalog?

is there any special requirement to take the backup of dedupe? normally in database we can dump the database for backup is there any similar concept available in NetBackup dedupe. 

if i recover NetBackup catalog will it be sufficient to recove NetBackup dedupe information? 

My main concern is to recover dedupe data to avoid any NB problem.

Thank you in advance. 

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The dedupe metadata is not included in the catalog backup.

NetBackup Product manager said the following about protecting dedupe metadata:

"The meta-base (the “database” disk on an MSDP server) is specific to the deduplication data held on the same server (the “data” disk) and we consider the contents of both disks  to be part of the data store itself and not a data store and a catalog.

The recommended way to “protect” both the data and database (beyond the obvious storage level protection) is to use optimized duplication (either within the domain or, using A.I.R., between domains) to duplicate the data between MSDP media servers. "

smart2011
Level 4

Kindly consider that in our scenario no additional MSDP media server is available. In that case what would be the protection level. 

Any alternative recommendation to protect dedupe data.