cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting images of backups that are aborted

Sandeepkumar
Level 4

Hi Team

We are using basic disk for backups with the use of LVM concept.Recently we cancelled 6 backups which almost written 1TB each after cancelling we have observed the space in the LVM has not claimed.WE can see LV is still occupied with the backup ID of cancelled backups.

Is it netbackup behaviour that it will not reclaim the storage space when the backups are cancelled...?? If it is so is it not a bug..??

Can i remove those backup images with backups ID from the LV and reclaim my storage space.??

Regards

Sandeep

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

How long since the backups were cancelled?

My understanding is that NetBackup will cleanup expired and/or cancelled images in the 12-hourly Image Cleanup job.

Do you have bpdm log on the media server to track disk cleanup?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Page 259 - Identifying and removing a left-over snapshot

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000097857

Hi Marianne

Backups were in incomplete state we have just aborted them 5 days back as we are unable to resume those backups.

We dont have bpdbm logs enabled on media server.

Marianne
Level 6

I would expect NBU to delete images for failed backup at the 1st subsequent Image Cleanup.

The log folder that tracks image cleanup on a media server is bpdm (disk manager). Please create it.
bpdbm = 'database manager' and goes on the master. 

To see what is happening wrt cleanup, please run this command on the master after creating bpdm log folder:
nbdelete -allvolumes -force

Check the log for results.

If disk images are still not deleted, you will need to do it manually.

Please run Images on Disk report to ensure that you have a list of valid images before starting manual cleanup.... An accidental delete of valid image cannot be fixed.... 

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Please see my previous post.

If this is disk snapshots, there is a procedure to delete them in the link I provided,

Marianne
Level 6

Sounds to me like orphaned images on Basic Disk... unless I have misread the opening post... ?

LVM is not supported with Snapshot Client. 

Hi 

This is not regarding snapshot client.

Backups are aborted after writting 500GB but iam not able to get back this storage in my disk.

Hi Marianne

What does nbdelete -allvolumes -force does,will it delete all the images..?? is it safe to run in production environment...??

Marianne
Level 6

The command is safe to run in production environment.
Look at the good explanation here:
https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Cant-delete-a-Disk-Pool/m-p/325416#M65020