cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Backup criteria to DISKA & TAPE

Shofa
Level 2

My customer has the Netbackup 7.1 used for backup their UNIX clients nodes.

They have Master & Media Servers plus disk-array and TAPE library

The backup policy is configured to backup data with 7 days retention period on storage-unit in the disk array.

Now, I need to backup the data from the disk array to TAPES with more retention period (20 days); how can we do that without new license

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

More info about 'disk array' backup, please? Configured as BasicDisk or AdvanceDisk?

With BasicDisk you cannot have separate retention for Disk and Tape backups. You can only configure Disk Staging that will either cleanup disk images based on High Water Mark or retention period, which ever is reached first.

With AdvanceDisk, you can use Storage LifeCycle Policies (SLP) to configure different retentions for disk and tape.

wizard_s32
Level 4

From GUI .. Double click on the disk staging unit and set up a staging schdule on to the tapes. Set up the high water mark as well so that the duplication can happen if the high water mark is also reached.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Duplication is done by the schedule that is defined when selecting Enable temporary staging area >> Staging Schedule.

The High Water mark controls cleanup of duplicated images

wizard_s32
Level 4

Same thing >> you cannot set up staging schedule if you dont click on it check box and vice versa... :)

High water - you are right on that one

Shofa
Level 2

Thanks for your answer...

Do we need any license for this feature to be used or it if free?

If I use this SLP feature, do I need copy the data first from disk-array to TEMPORARY staging unit then to the TAPE or it directly write to TAPE like the VAULTING feature?

What also about restore data from the TAPE, can we restore the files directly to the clients? or first to the disk-arrary then to the client

Thanks