cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device Manager won't stay started.There are no entries in the drive database. The NetBackup Device Manager service only needs to run when devices are configured. The service will now exit.

rsamora
Level 5
Certified

1. I first noticed the problem because the job stayed in "queue" status and never went active.
2. This is a SAN Media server.
3. NetBackup Device Manager was not started and if I start it, it stops seconds later.
4. Application Log says: There are no entries in the drive database. The NetBackup Device Manager service only needs to run when devices are configured. The service will now exit.
5. The Shared Storage Option licenses are the same across 30 other SAN Media servers and they are working fine.
6. This client has been working fine for months and hasn't even had a reboot since 2/19 but the failures began last Thursday.  No changes that anyone is admitting to.
7. Running the "Configure Storage Devices" on the SAN Media server shows 36 drives.
8. Windows sees 36 drives.
9. tpconfig -d shows no drives.

I think that's the meat and potatoes of the problem.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance for your loving responses.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Well, since"No changes that anyone is admitting to", you are left with troubleshooting as if 'someone' did.
Double-check license keys on this server: ...\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>bpminlicense -list_keys -verbose

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

shans
Level 4

Will_Restore
Level 6
Cause:
The media server is missing Shared Storage Option license.

Solution:
Add NetBackup Shared Storage Option license to the media server in question.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/293776.htm

doh!
'h' beat me to it

rsamora
Level 5
Certified
See Item #5 on my list.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Well, since"No changes that anyone is admitting to", you are left with troubleshooting as if 'someone' did.
Double-check license keys on this server: ...\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>bpminlicense -list_keys -verbose