cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling of removal storage service.

uznosyke
Level 3
HI all,

I run Veritas Netbackup 6.5.1 on my master and media servers. I read it is advised that the removable storage service on windows be disabled since I use tape library. What is the implication of doing this and should i do same for my media servers or do i limit it to the master alone? I need your response please.
2 REPLIES 2

Stumpr2
Level 6
3rd PARTY: Removable Storage Service set to Manual or Automatic and running.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/274991

Details:
Vendor: Microsoft

Hardware:

Issue:  This service will interfere with VERITAS NetBackup (tm) and cause various issues with tape drives and tape libraries. Tape drives can go down and there maybe issues when incorrect tapes are loaded into the tape drives.

Issue exists at firmware version:

Issue resolved at firmware version:

Additional Information:
The service called Removable Storage needs to be set to disabled. If the service is set to Automatic or Manual it will be either running or will start running. This service will attempt to manage the tape library or tape drives and can cause potential tape drive or tape library issues. It is recommended that the service be disabled on all servers that can see the tape drives and tape library. This is especially critical in a SAN environment when there are multiple servers that could be zoned to see the tape drives and tape library.

The following is an example of what maybe seen in the System Event log if the service is running or started.

20050129 10:04:07 Removable Storage Service I98 NA RSM was stopped.
20050129 10:04:27 Removable Storage Service I98 NA RSM was stopped.