cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk Image management

manatee
Level 6

I hope there will be a discussioned pinned with regards to disk image management.

at the moment, my tape drives are unavailable but backups are still going on to disk. i already have several images on disk and want to expire, then delete, some images to make room for really important backups. should use the combination of bpimagelist and bpexpdate plus rm to do what i require? is there like a directory where disk images are stored, sorted according to creation date? i guess that'll be a lot easier to manage.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

A really easy way is to go to the catalog section of the admin console .. do a search against the disk type / path to see everything on it.

You can then sort it to suit and expire by simply selecting (Shift and CTL work here) the images, right clicking and saying expire .. they expire and are deleted from disk in seconds

If they are under control of SLP's though you will need to cancel them from the SLP before you expire them (nbstlutil cancel -backupid servername_111223334)

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

A really easy way is to go to the catalog section of the admin console .. do a search against the disk type / path to see everything on it.

You can then sort it to suit and expire by simply selecting (Shift and CTL work here) the images, right clicking and saying expire .. they expire and are deleted from disk in seconds

If they are under control of SLP's though you will need to cancel them from the SLP before you expire them (nbstlutil cancel -backupid servername_111223334)

Hope this helps

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

you can pull a report on images on disk from the GUI -> Reports -> Disk Reports and then search for images and set your criteria in there.

Then you can expire these in the Catalog or with bpexpdate

bpexpdate -backupid <backupid> -d 0 

This will remove the image from the database AND on disk as an nbdelete is initiated on the server hosting the disk storage by default and removed almost instantly. You should not need to be searching the disk storage locations and using rm to remove anything. NetBackup does it for you.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

With Images On Disk you can see the size of the images and generate a list of images based on that
 I guess we would need more information on the criteria the Original Poster wants to expire images?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Oh dear!

Is this the same MSDP pool where you only have one day retention?

why my restore asks for media?

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

If you only have enough space for backups with 1 day retention.....GET A BIGGER DISK!!

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

And if it is MSDP and you need it clearing up fast then you will need to do several queue processing to get it to actually clear down

manatee
Level 6

hi all,

sorry took so long. finally got my tape drives working. managed to expire and delete via GUI the images.

yes i have to juggle this one day retentions as i have to work with the disk size given to me. incidentally, why there isn't a 2 day or 3 day retention increment? from 1 day it jumps to 1 week. people have different requirements so this has to be flexible. regardless.

thanks all for your replies!

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

As per one of your other posts - NBU presents you with 10 default retention levels (0 - 9). The rest (10-24) can ALL be customized.

Well, even 0 - 9 can be customized.

You need to escalate the insufficient disk space to your management.
This is where the real issue is.