cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk Staging

Timothy_Payne
Level 4
I am running into an issue with NB6 MP2 and disk staging. Under NB 5.1 is was able to append disk stage images onto the media run after run. Under NB6 I receive an error 96 (unable to allocate new media) wanting new media. I have checked the available media and it is not frozen and it has space available. It almost appears as if it is unable to append the media. Has anyone else run into this and any ideas on how to get around this?
4 REPLIES 4

Timothy_Payne
Level 4
I stumbled onto the answer to this myself. The problem was caused because I only had 1 tape available in the library, when I added additional media the Disk stage assigned one tape to the parent job (which it never loads) and then one for each of the 2 child jobs that is spawned (I assume if I had more tape drives it would assign one tape per drive, I may be wrong). It now writes to any available media as long as there is more then one available tape...

Stumpr2
Level 6
you can configure the number of tape drives the migration will use by entering the number of tape drives to use into the file:

..../netbackup/MAX_STAGING_JOBS
reverse the slash to a whack for windoesMessage was edited by:
Bob Stump

Timothy_Payne
Level 4
Dude your awesome...

Andrew_Sydelko
Level 2
This is actually a known bug. The new scheduling system doesn't know what pool to make sure media is available in until after the parent job has passed on control to the child duplicate. So it's hardcoded to check the SCRATCH pool for a tape. If a tape exists there, then the actual duplicate will do the right thing and pull tapes out of the correct pool and append to them, but there has to be at least one tape in the SCRATCH pool.

--andy.