cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU6.0MP2 - EMM issue - one media ghost - how to eradicate it?

Alexandre_Rappo
Level 5
Hi
as we all know the upgrade to 6.0MP2 was not without difficulties.
I have a good case regarding the EMM and the way it handles media.
Case: media ALPHA is physically in the library, and you can see it in the admin console \ M&D Management\Media volumes list. It's active(assigned a year ago), all fields ok.
I spotted this media as it should be offsite, not inside the library.
then anything you try on it fails:

.... bpmedialist
.... bpexpdate
.... bpmedia -freeze

same answer: " requested media id was not found in the EMM database "

So that's why I call it a ghost.
Do you have any how I can check the integrity of the EMM and solve this issue?

thanks a lot for your answers ;)
5 REPLIES 5

Stumpr2
Level 6
Don't let the title keep you from reading this technote:

GENERAL ERROR: When attempting to expire a media in Veritas NetBackup (tm) 6.0 with the bpexpdate command, the message "requested media id was not found in the EMM database" is received
http://support.veritas.com/docs/280202

Alexandre_Rappo
Level 5
Hi Bob, and thanks a lot, this is the exact procedure step by step to recover a media with no media server assigned.
I did it and it work beautifully. it does not take long and it's a great practice to understand the differences between the volumeDB and the MediaDB, all merged in EMM...

No more ghost...

PS: but now I realized that the mergetable has 9 records, so I have new ghosts.... ;) http://support.veritas.com/docs/279359

cheers

Gerald_W__Gitau
Level 6
Certified
If you really want to expire the media try this command from admincmd directory -

bpexpdate -d 0 -m media_id -host host_name

Let me know if it helped.

Alexandre_Rappo
Level 5
Hi Gerald, this command is part of the procedure, but if the EMM does not know about the tape, it will fail.
the doc given by Bob is perfect as it goes from merging the tape in EMM and then deassign it...
it's really a 6.0+ issue.

cheers

Gerald_W__Gitau
Level 6
Certified
Thanks. I hadn't "seen" the emm issue. I also had the similar problems and the stated command worked for. Apologies.