cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk backup of 420GB data is taking too long...

jovey
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm working with this problem. I have an SQL DB with a capacity of 420GB and it run for 30 hours on a daily full backup. It also have 6 media multiplexing... What can I do to speed up the backup? The writing is 3812kpbs.

Thanks,
Jovey
5 REPLIES 5

nairdheeraj
Level 4
Is ur SQL DB running on Windows?

The speed you have mentioned looks to be not too slow if the DB is running on windows.

Which type of tape technology are you using and is your tape drives using SCSI or FC at the back end?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Jovey, are you using an NetBackup for MS SQL policy type etc?
I've seen even average spec servers as NBU clients sending 80+ MB/s via LAN to a media server, for databases in the 120GB size region.

Can you post your "batch" file?
How many databases are there?
Pls describe the LUN/volume that houses the 420GB database - what connectivity, RAID, number of spindles etc...

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6
How are backing up the DB? - MS SQL Agent Backup or Normal File System Level Backup

How are saying the Writing speed as 3812 KPBS ? is this the speed u r getting in stable ?

Dion
Level 6
Certified
Could you post a bit more about your setup.

1. What version of NetBackup are you using?
2. As above, specify whether you are using the SQL agent or whether you are doing a local SQL backup and then using the normal Windows agent to backup the flat file
3. What is you networking config between the client and the Netbackup server.  Speed and are you doing any routing through firewall etc.
4. Are you using a SAN?

Over a standard 1 GB network using normal spec'd servers you should be backing up your database in under 10 hours at least.  In our environment that size database completes in around 6 hours or less (using Windows all round)

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Can you post the "BCH" file?  There are various tuning parameters that you can employ...