cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do netbackup keep catalog into backup tapes?

Puffy
Level 6
New to netbackup. I notice that my netbackup has 1 catalog media configured. This tape stays in our office. However daily tapes are being rotated out off-site till their retention period.

So I was wondering in the event of a disaster, can I build/restore the catalog from the offsite tapes ?

Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2

Stumpr2
Level 6

Puffy wrote:

So I was wondering in the event of a disaster, can I build/restore the catalog from the offsite tapes ?

Thanks.

Yes, you can import all the tapes but I don'r advise doit it that way. I would send a catalog tape off with the data tapes. if you truly are in a DR situation then you would not want to take the time to rebuild from an import process.

A cheap alternatative is to use rsync on the images database to a server at the remote site. you will have to do some juggling with the ownership of the tapes but it is much quicker.

Puffy
Level 6
Thanks for your reply!

I was wondering what is the industry standard/practice for managing catalog vs disaster restoration vs reasonable administration.

I am proposing based on my understanding to rotate the catalog out every month. Then rebuild the catalog new. I think with this setup, I will have less catalog to restore in the event of a diaster since catalog is only for 1 month. And I will retain the catalog for 12 months. Does this sound okay ?

Two questions. How to rebuild the catalog? And say if I replace a new catalog tape now and send my catalog tape off-stie, can I still able to search for media that are needed from my current Netbackup console ?

Thanks!