cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know if NBU supports PostgresSQL?

SergioGil
Level 2
Where can I download the agent?

Thanks in Advance!

Sergio
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

schmaustech
Level 5
Netbackup does not have a PostgresSQL agent, however you can still backup a PostgresSQL database by one of the following methods:

- Use the bpstart/bpstop scripts to stop and start PostgreSQL database.  Inbetween the stop and start, Netbackup can then backup the quiesced database files.  The drawback here is that the database is unavailable during the backup.

- Use the bpstart script in Netbackup to call the pg_dump utility which can do a dump of the PostgresSQL files while the database is in use.  Then configure your policy to backup the location of the dump file.

Regards,

Benjamin Schmaus

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
It's not supported :(

schmaustech
Level 5
Netbackup does not have a PostgresSQL agent, however you can still backup a PostgresSQL database by one of the following methods:

- Use the bpstart/bpstop scripts to stop and start PostgreSQL database.  Inbetween the stop and start, Netbackup can then backup the quiesced database files.  The drawback here is that the database is unavailable during the backup.

- Use the bpstart script in Netbackup to call the pg_dump utility which can do a dump of the PostgresSQL files while the database is in use.  Then configure your policy to backup the location of the dump file.

Regards,

Benjamin Schmaus

quebek
   VIP    Certified
But
What I would do if I was in Your shoes:
Create a policy of type corresponding to the OS where Pgsql is installed and utilitise pre/post commands to dump pgsql DBs somewhere to disks, and in backup selection list mention this location.
So when the policy will start, pre script will dump Your DB to some disk location, and once this is done NBU will backup this location, in post script You can remove the created dump.
Check the NBU admin guide vol 2 for details on Netbackup Notify Scripts (bpstart_notify and bpstart_notify.bat)