cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't see individual directories/files in BAR for a Linux VM

zmlat
Level 4

Hello,

Running NBU 7.5.0.6, and we backup our VMs using VADP. I'm trying to do a file restore from a Linux VM, but when I go to the restore GUI the directory structure only shows:  Volume{1}. I can't expand that.

On the policy, I do have Enable file recovery from VM backup checked. The only line item not checked is "Enable block-level incremental backup" (not sure if the latter is the issue). I recall doing restores in the past, and I could expand and see /etc, /opt, etc....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Systems_Team
Level 6
   VIP   

Hi Zmlat,

As you are on a version of NetBackup that is end of life and no longer supported, it is getting hard to find support info for it.

You say "when you go to the restore GUI".  Are you running this from the Linux client VM (in other word do you have a NetBackup client installed in this VM), or are you running it from your Master or another location?  One of the requirements for file level-recovery is to have a NetBackup client installed in the VM.  If not, you may be able to get around this by doing the restore from another Linux machine that does have a client, or from your Master server.

There is one other prerequisite - that the guest OS is supported for file-level recovery from a VMware backup.  You haven't provided this information, but if you have a look at the PDF in link below (see Page 15) it lists the OS's supported for file-level recovery:

http://vox.veritas.com/legacyfs/online/veritasdata/NB_7x_virtualization_May_31_2012_update[1].pdfhtt...

Note that there are only a couple of variants of SUSE and RHEL supported for this.  If your Linux flavour is not supported, then it is not going to work and your alternative is to restore a copy of the entire VM and then extract the files you need.

Below is the same document for the currently supported versions of NetBackup (7.7-8.x), and you can see there have been some changes (Page 22):

https://www.veritas.com/bin/support/docRepoServlet?bookId=NB_70_80_VE&requestType=pdf

Also in both those docs on the following pages to the ones I outlined is the supported filesystems for VM based backups.

Hope this helps,

Steve

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Systems_Team
Level 6
   VIP   

Hi Zmlat,

As you are on a version of NetBackup that is end of life and no longer supported, it is getting hard to find support info for it.

You say "when you go to the restore GUI".  Are you running this from the Linux client VM (in other word do you have a NetBackup client installed in this VM), or are you running it from your Master or another location?  One of the requirements for file level-recovery is to have a NetBackup client installed in the VM.  If not, you may be able to get around this by doing the restore from another Linux machine that does have a client, or from your Master server.

There is one other prerequisite - that the guest OS is supported for file-level recovery from a VMware backup.  You haven't provided this information, but if you have a look at the PDF in link below (see Page 15) it lists the OS's supported for file-level recovery:

http://vox.veritas.com/legacyfs/online/veritasdata/NB_7x_virtualization_May_31_2012_update[1].pdfhtt...

Note that there are only a couple of variants of SUSE and RHEL supported for this.  If your Linux flavour is not supported, then it is not going to work and your alternative is to restore a copy of the entire VM and then extract the files you need.

Below is the same document for the currently supported versions of NetBackup (7.7-8.x), and you can see there have been some changes (Page 22):

https://www.veritas.com/bin/support/docRepoServlet?bookId=NB_70_80_VE&requestType=pdf

Also in both those docs on the following pages to the ones I outlined is the supported filesystems for VM based backups.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Thanks Steve. 

Planning on upgrading next week actually.

The VM is RedHat 7.2, but I think I found the issue: the OS is using xfs filesystem.

In reviewing the docs granular file recovery from xfs is not currently supported under any version of NBU (?)