cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive goes down when tape fails to mount

Easyed87
Level 2

Hello,

I'm using Netbackup 5.1. When I try to run a backup the tape fails to mount causing the drive to go down.

I'm getting "bad image header" errors in the problems log.  Any help would be appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

OK, lets gather some information :

Is this happening on all tapes

Has this ever worked

When did the problem begin

Just before the problem began, what changed

Pls. post up logs (bptm I presume)

If you relabel a blank tape (ie. scratch) - does it then work

Load a tape using robtest then read the header using od (or use dd, but be careful not to overwrite anything) please post the NBU header up here.

schmaustech
Level 5

Is this on Unix or Windows?  Does it happen with a brand new tape?  What kind of drive is this?

If Unix, see any errors in /var/log|adm/messages?

Regards,

Benjamin Schmaus

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

With regards to the tape/drive failures I agree with the other postings - need a bit more troubleshooting: same tapes, same drive, any recent changes (mis-configured drive in NB d/bases i.e. drive1 actually pointing at drive2 etc)?

As far as the 'bad image header' issues, these are probably un-related to the tape/drive problems you are experiencing. Check out the following Tech Notes & see if they help:

The All Log Entries or Problems Log reports show: "Bad image header," indicating a problem with the ...

DOCUMENTATION: How to manually identify and remove zero-byte or corrupt image header files which are...

GENERAL ERROR: The "bpexpdate -deassignempty" command fails with "Could not update media list, file ...
Message Edited by Andy Welburn on 02-26-2009 08:28 AM

Easyed87
Level 2

Here is some background...

The master server is running Microsoft 2003 Server SP 2. This has been in operation for over 3 years.

This problem started about two weeks ago. At first I could reup the drive and the backups would restart,

now it wond even do that. The robot can inventory the tapes, so I don't think it's a barcode problem.