cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive identification

Rockey_jay
Level 4
Hi,

We have ACS lib and Drives  configured on SSO.  Yesterday i found one of the drive got failed to take backup, because tape got stuck inside the drive. While i am trying the below through robtest.

dm   986289 d5 f
Dismount failed: STATUS_LIBRARY_FAILURE

Seems there is issue with tape drive, and i am planning to call STK engineer to repair/replace it. Here my doubt is through "Vmoprcmd" it shows

Drv Type   Control             User      Label  RecMID  ExtMID  Ready   Wr.Enbl.  ReqId
  0 hcart2    DOWN-ACS                   -                                     No       -        -

Drv DriveName            Shared    Assigned        Comment
  0 Drive58                       Yes      -

Through robtest ,
Drive 5 information:
   ID (acs,lsm,panel,drv): 0,0,1,5
   drive type:             IBM-LTO-2
   volume ID:              986289 
   state:                  STATE_ONLINE

Now my confusion is, what is the exact drive number physically? is it Drive 2 or Drive 0. I guess it is drive 2. If i am wrong pls correct me.

Thanks,
Rockey

6 REPLIES 6

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
Just provide the ACSLS address (ID (acs,lsm,panel,drv): 0,0,1,5 ) and STK will know how to locate it, I open tickets for them almost daily to unstuck tapes and the ACS address is all what they need.

hope this helps.
Regards

Rockey_jay
Level 4
Omar,

Thanks for your suggestion, Offcourse, STK can identify the exact drive by specifying the Address ID. But i feel better to specify and i also want to know how to trace the physical drive number using our commands. Is it the Drive 5 , is the exact physical drive in our case?

Thanks
Rockey 

Stumpr2
Level 6
Rockey,
I like to verify the correct drive outside of Netbackup/ACS by mounting the tape and then doing OS commands to rewind and eject the tape.

Rockey_jay
Level 4
Bob,

You mean, injecting tape manually inside the drive and tracing the Physical Drive  through our NB commands? Seems,  the "Drive which shows through robtest ..is the exact physicial drive number". Is my statement correct bob?

Thanks,
Rockey

Stumpr2
Level 6
robtest only talks to the drive as it was defined.  I like to put a tape in each drive and run a command against each of them and see which one responds to:

mt -f  [TapeName ] rewoffl

That way I know I have the exact physical drive mapped to the correct drivename

Rockey_jay
Level 4
Bob,

Thanks for your information, i will check the same.

Thanks,
Rockey