cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive up but is not being used by Netbackup 7.1.0.4

npolite
Level 5

Hi All,

I had an issue earlier this evening in which my tape library threw a internal SCSI cmd failed with check option. This is a Dell TL4000 device. It removed drive 1 after the error from writing any further. After rebooting and installing the latest firmware, I am back up and running. The tape library shows everything as good. Every time I upgrade the firmware, Windows 2003 installs the MS drivers instead of the IBM ones so I have to remove and install the ones provided with Dell. Those are showing correctly in Device Manager.

I removed the drives and storage unit, like I always do after the firmware update. Netbackup detected the robot and drives without any problem. I tried to kick the rest of tonight's backups and it is only using one driver. I tried to reset the drive but it didn't help. If I down drive 2 which is working and schedule another backup, the job sits there with drives are in use in storage unit. What could be the issue?

I ran the diagnostic drive 1 which is having the issue and they all passed. I also ran the IBM utility ITDT and that also passed on the drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

npolite
Level 5

I found another article on this where they were asked to run nbrbutil -resetall.

This also fixed my issue and both drives are now writing.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

npolite
Level 5

I found another article on this where they were asked to run nbrbutil -resetall.

This also fixed my issue and both drives are now writing.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Check for orphaned device allocation. Run this command from cmd:

nbrbutil -dump

Check the 'MDS Allocation' output at the bottom.

Orphaned allocations can be released as follows:

nbrbutil -releaseMDS <allocation-key>

or, if no backups are running, reset all:

nbrbutil -resetAll

(command is in <install-path>\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd)

npolite
Level 5

Thanks for your help. I ran the MDS Allocation and didn't see anything so I think I am good on that.

Last night Netbackup stopped all jobs around 10pm ET. I took a look and found both drives (we have just the two) were down. I had a look at the Event Viewer and see the following error:

The device 'IBM ULT3580-HH5 SCSI Sequential Device' (SCSI\Sequential&Ven_IBM&Prod_ULT3580-HH5&Rev_D2AD\5&346ea004&0&000000) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

I rebooted the server and everything worked after that. I don't see any errors written to the libarary's event log so I think the issue is with the Qlogic card or the O/S. Should I just go ahead and replace the card?

Nick