cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drives are not being detected in scan and device configuration wizard??

peterhunt
Level 3

netbackup 6.5

2 tape drives HPULTIRIUM 3 SCSI.

Library : overland neo 4000

Tape drives are not being detected in scan command but scan -changer shows all drives.

device manager it shows 2 tape drives but now they have also gone after I uninstalled.

device configuration wizrd give unused elemnet for those drives.

Plz help!!

11 REPLIES 11

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
WHY WHY WHY are you using such old, unsupported OS and NBU versions? Where are you going to find W2000 drivers for your tape drives? This is a requirement - Windows Device Manager must see the tape drives and drivers must be installed. Windows Removable Storage Manager service must be stopped and disabled.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

scan -changer does not show the drives, it shows only the changer.  It does however list the serial numbers of the drives that are 'in' the changer, but this is not the same as the media server seeing the drives.

I appreciate it is a bit confusing, but you should have one 'secion' in the scan output for the changer, and seperate outputs in scan for each drive.

Generally speaking, providing the device mappings files are up-to-date, if scan does not show the drives, it's because the operating system is not seeing the drives.

1.  Is the operating correctly seeing the drives  (look in Device Manager)

You listed Windows 2000 as the OS ??? 2003 ??? 2008 ??? , can you be exact.

All scan is doing is sending a scsi command to each device that the OS can see.  If scan does not show output it is usually either because.

1.  The OS does not see the device

2.  Device Mappings out-of-date

3.  SAN issue

4. Driver Issue

5.  Firmware issue (drive/ robot or HBA)

6.  Faulty hardware

On windows at least, it's very rare that scan not showing devices is due to 'NetBackup' - in fact as I always scay, scan is not a NetBackup command as such (it even works with NBU shut down) and there are no adjustments or tuning we can do to make it work.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Now I have read the post again ...

"device manager it shows 2 tape drives but now they have also gone after I uninstalled."

... So the OS is not seeing the drives even ....

"device configuration wizrd give unused elemnet for those drives"

I'd forget this until the OS can see the drives.

Power cycle everything (proper power off/ on, so no girly resets from consoles)

Check zoning

Marianne
Level 6

Windows 2000 and NetBackup 6.5. 

PLEASE not...

Have you checked NBU HCL for tape library and tape drives?
Not sure where you are going to find this since all NBU 6.5 documentation was removed from Symantec/Veritas sites long time ago. 
(NBU 6.5 reached EOSL in 2012.)

The other piece of NBU 6.5 software that is required is Device Mappings.
Outdated Device Mappings are known for showing 'unused elements' while 'scan -changer' can see the drives in the robot.

You need to go back to your management and have a word with them about outdated, unsupported backup environment.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

PS.  If you post a problem that is on NetBackup 6.0 / 6.5, you are likely to feel the full 'Marianne Effect'

Marianne
Level 6

Major problem is with drivers, patches, documentation, etc.. etc... etc... no longer available from tape vendor, OS vendor, and last but not least - Symantec/Veritas.

Where to find drivers?

Where to find documentation?

Where to find Device Mappings?

Lastly:

Why does this seem to be a new installation/configuration?

Users with OS and NBU this old normally leave the environment untouched. 
If it breaks, there is simply no way to fix it....

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

As far as I remember youll need Symantec/veritas Tapedriver for 32-bit Windows media server.

Have a look at here: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000073865

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Found newer Link

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000033133

But best is to update / upgrade OS and NBU. Which OS Versions the client can have ?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Peter... status update?

Marianne
Level 6
Veritas tape drivers will fix the driver issue, but NBU still needs device mappings to be installed. *** Edit **** I found device mappings over here: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000085804 So, install Veritas tape drivers ( read instructions carefully) then check that Windows Device Manager and scan can see the devices. Install device mappings as per TN instructions. Try Device Config wizard again. Next step is to migrate to supported OS and NBU versions.

peterhunt
Level 3

Thanks ALL.

I uninstalled the drives from device manager and reinstalled.

Rebooted master server.

Issue got resolved. Thanks all for your help.