cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplication question - Copy 3

Michel_G_
Level 3

We've done disk to tape duplication for years using disk storage units for temporary staging though we're moving more and more away from tape.  A while back I did some disk to disk duplication.  (Destination disk was unavailable so I changed the policy to write elsewhere then duplicated the images to where I wanted them once the disk was back online.)

However, now I need to retire that disk storage and while I've relocated the rest of the data through duplication, those particular images on there that are already Copy 2 won't duplicate because of my maximum backup copies attribute is set to 2.  So I know the solution is to increase that number to 3 but how does that effect the rest of my environment?  I don't want to end up with 3 copies of everything, I just need the ability to make one more copy of these particular images.  

In other words, when my regular duplication tasks kick off on my normal disk storage units to create a Copy 2 to tape, What happens the next time the duplication job runs? Nothing because it's already created a Copy 2 or will it try making a Copy 3?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Maximum number of copies is just a limitation. Lifting it does not mean you will see 3 copies of data automatic. You still need to configure SLP or alike to do 3 copies.

Best Regards

Nicolai

View solution in original post

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
When you say that you made changes to the policy to send copy 2 to another storage unit do you mean that you are using inline tape copies i.e. multiple copies in the schedule tab or are you sending data to an SLP which is configured as per your requirement or maybe DSSU.? Either which ways changing the settings for maximum number of backup copies does not automatically make NetBackup create those copies. It only gives you the opportunity to either configure an SLP or multiple copies which can be created automatically or manually from the catalog. This setting only specifies the maximum number of copies you can create for one backup-id. If your current configuration creates a Backup and then a duplicate copy then even if you chabge this setting it will still create new images as backup + duplication (i.e. copy 1 copy3) But it gives you a change to create a 3rd copy as well if required. You can go to the catalog and select duplicate and create the 3rd copy if required. But if you are using any script to run "bpduplicate" command multiple times only theb can it create the 3rd copy for all the other images. If not then unless manually done netbackup will not automatically create a 3rd copy even if you change the maximum number of backup copies. In your case since you want to just duplicate few images which already have copy 2 I would suggest if copy 1 still exists then you can expire copy 2 and then create the copy manually from the catalog. So expire the copy which was temporarily created on the other STU and then duplicate the original image to the required STU.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Maximum number of copies is just a limitation. Lifting it does not mean you will see 3 copies of data automatic. You still need to configure SLP or alike to do 3 copies.

Best Regards

Nicolai

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
When you say that you made changes to the policy to send copy 2 to another storage unit do you mean that you are using inline tape copies i.e. multiple copies in the schedule tab or are you sending data to an SLP which is configured as per your requirement or maybe DSSU.? Either which ways changing the settings for maximum number of backup copies does not automatically make NetBackup create those copies. It only gives you the opportunity to either configure an SLP or multiple copies which can be created automatically or manually from the catalog. This setting only specifies the maximum number of copies you can create for one backup-id. If your current configuration creates a Backup and then a duplicate copy then even if you chabge this setting it will still create new images as backup + duplication (i.e. copy 1 copy3) But it gives you a change to create a 3rd copy as well if required. You can go to the catalog and select duplicate and create the 3rd copy if required. But if you are using any script to run "bpduplicate" command multiple times only theb can it create the 3rd copy for all the other images. If not then unless manually done netbackup will not automatically create a 3rd copy even if you change the maximum number of backup copies. In your case since you want to just duplicate few images which already have copy 2 I would suggest if copy 1 still exists then you can expire copy 2 and then create the copy manually from the catalog. So expire the copy which was temporarily created on the other STU and then duplicate the original image to the required STU.

Michel_G_
Level 3

Thanks for the reassurance, I was hesitant to start making changes to global attributes without making sure all of the bases were covered.  I made the change to maxium backup copies, cycled my services and then through the Administration Console under Catalog searched for the Copy 2 jobs I have sitting on the Disk Staging Unit I want to retire and initiate a duplication of them as Copy 3 onto their new home. I'll be able to go back and expire Copy 2 then, kick off a bpimage -cleanup -allclients and once I verify the Disk Staging Unit drive is empty it's getting removed. 

Thanks Nicolai and Amol for you prompt feedback!

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

No Problem - glad I could help.  Thanks for marking solutions.