cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EMC DATA DOMAIN & NetBackup 8

Alborz
Level 2

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am really glad to find  VOX forum with hundred reasonable solutions that have been answered. I have a problem with DataDomain and DiskPool in Netbackup V8.

I have connected DD6800 to Netbackup  8 and Netbackup can see it clearly. I configured a Storage Unit with Quota that I need ( 8TB Soft Limit and 10TB hard limit) and I added it to Netbackup with Configure Disk Pool wizard, however in this wizard the RAW space of STU is shown 5TB !!!!! so I decided to create a big STU between 8TB Soft limit and 20TB hard limit and tried to add it again, but RAW space that I saw in Disk Pool wizard was 10TB!!!!!. Could you please tell me why Netbackup sees this space less than that it exists???

I have attached two picture. One for Sorage Unit that I have created in Data Domain and the other one is about NetBackup Disk Pool Wizard.

Thanks about your consideration.EMC DataDomain Storage UnitEMC DataDomain Storage UnitNetBackup Disk Pool WizardNetBackup Disk Pool Wizard

6 REPLIES 6

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

G'day mate,

You can disregard the report from NBU. There is a long article on support.emc.com " Storage Unit Quota Display on
NetBackup and Backup Exec
" that explains why this is skewed but it's the way it is.

The capacity reported depends on NBU and BUE version, plug-in version and even dedupe rate achieved. NBU does not have a concept of quota on OST hence it's difficult to squeeze in multiple numbers that DD operates with into one number - pool size.

Also have a read Data Domain Boost for OpenStorage Administration Guide, it also refers to inaccurate reporting by NBU and BUE when quotas are enabled

Thanks for your kind reply

So is it better to omit the quota in Data Domain?

In another hand, I have two Mtree in Data Domain ( Two separate Storage Unit ) and I am really confused about Capacity Management in Data Domain if I disable it!!.

Do you have any idea about it? Is it useful to use DD with Netbackup?

Mouse

I am not sure if you need quotas in DD or you don't. Usually if you introduce quotas in DD, you have either a multi-tenant configuration or a specific use case, like chargebacks

You need to work out a solution based on requirements - the very first question to ask would be why you need to do capacity management in Data Domain, what drives this requirement?

Addressing the last question, while it's easy to say yes, technology should be designed around requirements and if you have requirement for a deduplication appliance then Data Domain is a great fit.

The DataDomain that I work with has 80TB capacity and I created two STU one for my Oracle Dumps and the other for RMAN. Then I configure Quota for each to 40TB to assure that in long term I will not come across lack of storage. By those article that you mentioned I admit that NetBackup has a problem to understand quotas that I have set in Data Domain.

Mouse

Quotas is a way to make sure that one of your workloads will not consume all disk space on Data Domain so if enforcing such a limit is what you would like to have - then DD quotas is exactly what you need. NBU reporting of pool size is just a presentation issue, it will not interfere with the functionality of quotas. You don't really need NBU to "understand" DD quotas to make them work.

Mike_Gavrilov