cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERR - failure reading file: Microsoft Information Store:\

Samuel_Ayoub
Level 4

We are experiencing intermittent problems with backups failing on the first storage group on several of our exchange servers.  All the servers are in a single backup policy called EXCHANGE, which is configured for Exchange backups of the Microsoft Information Store.  Below is the error we are seeing.

Error bpbrm(pid=3304) from client <server name>: ERR - failure reading file: Microsoft Information Store:\SG1\SG1DB1 (BEDS 0xFFFFFEA9: 0xa000fea9 (2684419753)  

The backups run great for several days, then for whatever reason start failing on the frist storage group.  If we re-run the jobs sometimes it give give the same error and other times it will run successfully.  There doesn't appear to be any consistancy in when it works and when it doesn't.

We are a Windows shop running Netbackup 6.0 MP4 Master/Media servers and clients.  All e-mail servers are MS Exchange 2003 SP1. 

We have found Symantec Technote 278295 (http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/278295.htm), but aren't seeing any of the 217 Event ID's described in the article.  Also, the Ese.dll referenced in the Microsoft KB article (linked in the document) is an older version than we are running on our servers. 

Has anyone come across this issue and had any luck resolving it?

6 REPLIES 6

agolia
Level 3

This issue appears to be a Microsoft/Exchange issue specific to SP1 not NetBackup. Service Pack 2 for Exchange 2003 is available, I would consider bringing the Exchange up to SP2 to see if that resolves the issue. You can download it here...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/downloads/2003/sp2/download.mspx

Message Edited by agolia on 07-06-200711:02 AM

Samuel_Ayoub
Level 4
Agolia - Thanks for the response.  I'm somewhat partial to it being an Exchange issue, but unfortunately can't find any supporting documentation to back it up.

agolia
Level 3
The Microsoft KB article referenced in the Symantec Technote pretty much points to SP1 for Exchange as the issue.  I would use that as my reason for updating to SP2 before going any further.  If you were to engage Symantec or Microsoft support, the first question they will ask is what SP do you have installed for Windows and Exchange.  Symantec will want to know if you are running the latest MP for your version of NetBackup.  I would make sure that all of your patches are at the latest level and attempt to recreate the issue.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
I agree with Agolia, I think you should consider to upgrade both softwares versions, but if it was working in the begging then something had change, did you know if your SAs perform any kind of patching or something to the windows box

Samuel_Ayoub
Level 4
Problem Resolved!  Our issue turned out to be a problem with how Netbackup enumerates the backup selections.  We have multiple storage groups SGa, SGb, SGc, but in our selections we just had the default Microsoft Information Store:\ listed.  It turns out that NBU was having a problem enumerating the backup selections and somehow leaving a rogue bpbkar32 process active following the backup completion.  The next time the backup job would start, it would think a backup was already in progress because the bpbkar32 process was still active and this caused the backup to fail.  A Symantec engineer instructed us to add an * to the selection (Microsoft Information Store:\*) to make sure it accounts for more than one SG.  It has been a few weeks since making this change and all is well again.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Thanks for the update.