Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ejecting cleaning tape causes restart of Netbackup

Daniel_Moessner
Level 3
Hello,

I've got a problem with ejecting cleaning Tapes. When I run :

vmchange -res -multi_eject -sc -rn 0 -rt tld -rh backupserver -vh backupserver -ml CLNXXX

I've got an additional ltid process. After 30 minutes this process is still running and the tape is still in the database. I have to stop NBU and kill the additional ltid-process. After I restarted NBU and do a robtest I can find the tape in the eject slot.
I did this about 4 times and every time I have to stop NBU and kill the process and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I have NBU5.1MP4..

thx,
daniel
4 REPLIES 4

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi,

> vmchange -res -multi_eject -sc -rn 0 -rt tld -rh backupserver -vh backupserver -ml CLNXXX

This works fine in my lab environment(NBU6.0).
I have no idea why this hangs, but "vmchange -res -abort_ie -rn 0 -rt tld -rh backupserver" may be useful to abort ejection.

I hope this helps.

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
Hi Daniel,

Not very sure but looking at the command you execute, I would like to understand what's the command parameter -sc and -vh does? (I couldn't find it in vmchange -help nor the command reference guide) Do you mean -h which is mend to specify volume_database_host?

Make sure to specify the robot control host for -rh in case you have multiple backup server connects to the same tape library. I would add -verbose to increase the verbosity (for troubleshooting), and also -w.

Following command works for me:

vmchange -res -multi_eject -w -verbose -rn 0 -rt -rh -ml

Daniel_Moessner
Level 3
Hello Chia Tan Beng ,

this works fine with on small thing that causes confusion to me:

when I run

#vmchange -h server -w -multi_eject -res -ml AD00XX -rt tld -rn 0 -rh server

I get the following:

*** Eject volume batch #1 is ready to be removed ***
remove 1 volume(s) from media access port(s) of robot number 0 now

If I press enter the tape is re-injected if I press ^C everything is fine and the tape is in the media access port after it.
I wonder if there isn't an option to run the above command without this request if the tapes should be reinjected?

thx,
daniel

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
>
> when I run
>
> #vmchange -h server -w -multi_eject -res -ml
> AD00XX -rt tld -rn 0 -rh server
>
> I get the following:
>
> *** Eject volume batch #1 is ready to be removed ***
> remove 1 volume(s) from media access port(s)
> of robot number 0 now
>
>
> If I press enter the tape is re-injected if I press
> ^C everything is fine and the tape is in the media
> access port after it.
> I wonder if there isn't an option to run the above
> command without this request if the tapes should be
> reinjected?
>
The above sequence of event that you described is correct behaviour. After vmchange command is executed, NB would issue instruction to tape library to fetch the tape from slot to media access port (MAP) and prompt you with the message:
"*** Eject volume batch #1 is ready to be removed ***
remove 1 volume(s) from media access port(s) of robot number 0 now"

You suppose to open the MAP, remove the media from MAP and hit enter in response to the prompt. Its the same sequence if one is doing it from the GUI.
Pressing ^C aborts the eject and may result in inconsistency in your media inventory. I suggest you do a robot inventory on TLD 0 and verify if there's any update.