cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email notifications

piotr1
Level 3
I want to run email notifications. So I did everything as they said in manual:

1 Install and configure a mail client on the server as described in “Installing the email utility”.
Then I test it (blat C:\testfile.txt -s test_subject -to my_email@company.com) and I received mail, so it works.
2 Edit the nbmail.cmd script on the server as described “Configuring the nbmail.cmd script”.
3 Set the mail settings:
NetBackup Management > Host Properties > Master Server and set Universal Settings -> Client administrator’s email field
NetBackup Management > Host Properties > Master Server and set Global Attributes -> Administrator’s email field
4 Enable the Client sends mail option and click Apply.

Then I run several backups but I didn't receive any mail notiffication.
I veryfied logs on my mail server and there wasn't any information about it, so Netbackup Server didn't send mail to Mail Server.
How can I found what's wrong why Netbackup server don't want to send mail.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited

@poitr
follow the below mentioned steps to configure the mail notification in NBU using BLAT

1. download the BLAT and put the executable in \WINNT\System32

2. open CMD and run the %blat -install <mail-server-ip> <sender-id>

3. test the BLAT functionality by running the below mentioned command.

Note: This step is very imp as thi will test your mail relay settings.
          a) create one text file on C:\ (example) and enter some text into the same
          b) open cmd and run the command - % blat C:\testfile.txt -s test_subject -to <recipients-id>

4. if you get the test mail that means BLAT is configured properly

5. go to <install-path>\veritas\netbackup\bin and open nbmail.cmd

check the below mentioned sample script for you... your file should look exactly the same (except your send-from and relay server address

@IF "%~4"=="" (
blat %3 -s %2 -t %1 -i
netbackup@netbackup.com -server mail.relay.com -q -enriched)
ELSE (
blat %3 -s %2 -t %1 -t netbackup@netbackup.com -server mail.relay.com -q -attach %4 -enriched)

in this example netbackup@netbackup.com is your send from ID and mail.relay.com is your mail relay server.

Below mentioned are the Options for the script :

%3 is the file that BLAT will send in the body of the email. This is generated by one of the other scripts, backup_notification.cmd for example.
-s is the subject line of the email
%2 is the contents of the subject line. This is generated by another script that calls on blat, backup_notification.cmd, for example.
-t is who will receive the email.
%1 - is the email address. This is by default the contents of the Email Address for the administrator of this NetBackup Client field.
-i is the "From" portion of the email. This is not necessarily known to the email server. In this case it will be "From NetBackup." There should be a valid email address specified here instead of "NetBackup", such as "admin@acme.com".
-server is the name of the SMTP server to use.
-q will suppress all output to the screen.

6. Then enter the recipients email addresses in the global attributes of the master server host properties (also in the client settings check for the SERVER SENDS EMAIL

7. Also in the backup_exit_notify script - do the following

go to the end of the file and before the @endlocal line enter the below mentioned details (replace the id and server address)

:EndMain
:SendEmail
blat %OUTF% -s %1:%5 -t
recipient1@corp.com,recipient2@corp.com,recipient3@corp.com,recipient4@corp.com,recipient5@corp.com -i NetBackup
-server mail.relay.com -q

and then save the file

8. Restart the NBU services

9. Run the test job and check whether you get the mail

NOTE: Check for the syntax what provided.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/254809.htm this is for your further reading and reference.

Happy Reading

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

quebek
   VIP    Certified
on all clients - windows ones.
Blat has to be installed on all windows clients. If You did this only on Master server than I am not surprised :D. If You did that on clients too then, hmmm .....

piotr1
Level 3
Yes I installed blat only on Master server but I also run tes job which backups catalog on Master server and I also didn't receive any email notification.
I found in netbackup logs:
1,51216,116,116,59,1246870327970,4000,4040,0:,0:,26:MailClientStatus::makeCall,1,(243|A9:MasterServerName|)
1,51216,116,116,60,1246870328002,4000,4040,0:,0:,26:MailClientStatus::makeCall,1,(243|A65:my_email@my_domain.com|)
0,51216,116,116,61,1246870328002,4000,4068,0:,61:(ID:0000000001E12648) Active subtask count=0(PemTask.cpp:529),21:PemTask::taskComplete,1

But I haven't received any mail yet.

quebek
   VIP    Certified
in global attributes fill the field
Administrator emial address

Also in universal settings set that servers sends mail

and recheck the same.

***EDIT****
check also this post
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/blat-not-working-nbmailcmd

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited

@poitr
follow the below mentioned steps to configure the mail notification in NBU using BLAT

1. download the BLAT and put the executable in \WINNT\System32

2. open CMD and run the %blat -install <mail-server-ip> <sender-id>

3. test the BLAT functionality by running the below mentioned command.

Note: This step is very imp as thi will test your mail relay settings.
          a) create one text file on C:\ (example) and enter some text into the same
          b) open cmd and run the command - % blat C:\testfile.txt -s test_subject -to <recipients-id>

4. if you get the test mail that means BLAT is configured properly

5. go to <install-path>\veritas\netbackup\bin and open nbmail.cmd

check the below mentioned sample script for you... your file should look exactly the same (except your send-from and relay server address

@IF "%~4"=="" (
blat %3 -s %2 -t %1 -i
netbackup@netbackup.com -server mail.relay.com -q -enriched)
ELSE (
blat %3 -s %2 -t %1 -t netbackup@netbackup.com -server mail.relay.com -q -attach %4 -enriched)

in this example netbackup@netbackup.com is your send from ID and mail.relay.com is your mail relay server.

Below mentioned are the Options for the script :

%3 is the file that BLAT will send in the body of the email. This is generated by one of the other scripts, backup_notification.cmd for example.
-s is the subject line of the email
%2 is the contents of the subject line. This is generated by another script that calls on blat, backup_notification.cmd, for example.
-t is who will receive the email.
%1 - is the email address. This is by default the contents of the Email Address for the administrator of this NetBackup Client field.
-i is the "From" portion of the email. This is not necessarily known to the email server. In this case it will be "From NetBackup." There should be a valid email address specified here instead of "NetBackup", such as "admin@acme.com".
-server is the name of the SMTP server to use.
-q will suppress all output to the screen.

6. Then enter the recipients email addresses in the global attributes of the master server host properties (also in the client settings check for the SERVER SENDS EMAIL

7. Also in the backup_exit_notify script - do the following

go to the end of the file and before the @endlocal line enter the below mentioned details (replace the id and server address)

:EndMain
:SendEmail
blat %OUTF% -s %1:%5 -t
recipient1@corp.com,recipient2@corp.com,recipient3@corp.com,recipient4@corp.com,recipient5@corp.com -i NetBackup
-server mail.relay.com -q

and then save the file

8. Restart the NBU services

9. Run the test job and check whether you get the mail

NOTE: Check for the syntax what provided.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/254809.htm this is for your further reading and reference.

Happy Reading

piotr1
Level 3
Thx, for Your reply