cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 229 Status Events out of sequence - image inconsistency

Brian_Wing
Level 4

Hey Kids,

This error started popping up this weekend and I'm not having much luck finding any good answers with the old google support contract, or STN boards/seer.

Any idea what this error is about?

NBU 6.5.2/Solaris 9 master/Solaris 10 Media/ Netapp Client NDMP backup

Errors out my Full backup

THX,

Wingman

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Brian_Wing
Level 4

No, Neither Symantec nor Netapp found a resolution.  I had my case open for probably 6 months or so and never came to resolution.  The problem (so I hear) is with the inode data that is reported, there's some sort of mismatch with what's backed up and what the inode numbers are reported as. 

I think the issue is really that the netapp filer is using the old volume type not the flexvol. (at least in my case). 

I can get around the issue if I specify the directories to back up, but I have to get very granular.  My UNIX admin will be moving this data to a new volume at some point so I imagine that my issue will dissapear then, but it was pretty annoying that neither Symantec or Netapp could find any problems.

I guess with the new version of Netbackup 6.5.x and later the inode checking has been "improved" so it now catches this error.  I do believe that the data that is backed up is recoverable, but it's annoying to see these errors.

One thing (if you have an EMC) and you have this error Symantec said they had a fix, you just have to call them and ask.  I'm still seeing this problem and I"m running 6.5.3 now.

Hope this can shed some light.

Best thing for you to do is to test some recoveries with your full backup data and verify whether your data is truly being backed up.

Best of luck.

Brian

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

admfun
Not applicable

Has there been a conclusion for this error message yet?  I'm getting the same thing and it's failing my full backups.

Thanks

Brian_Wing
Level 4

No, Neither Symantec nor Netapp found a resolution.  I had my case open for probably 6 months or so and never came to resolution.  The problem (so I hear) is with the inode data that is reported, there's some sort of mismatch with what's backed up and what the inode numbers are reported as. 

I think the issue is really that the netapp filer is using the old volume type not the flexvol. (at least in my case). 

I can get around the issue if I specify the directories to back up, but I have to get very granular.  My UNIX admin will be moving this data to a new volume at some point so I imagine that my issue will dissapear then, but it was pretty annoying that neither Symantec or Netapp could find any problems.

I guess with the new version of Netbackup 6.5.x and later the inode checking has been "improved" so it now catches this error.  I do believe that the data that is backed up is recoverable, but it's annoying to see these errors.

One thing (if you have an EMC) and you have this error Symantec said they had a fix, you just have to call them and ask.  I'm still seeing this problem and I"m running 6.5.3 now.

Hope this can shed some light.

Best thing for you to do is to test some recoveries with your full backup data and verify whether your data is truly being backed up.

Best of luck.

Brian