cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error backing up exchange 2007

Dodge
Level 3

This is my first post, so, i wanna first say hiiiiii

I have a problem backing up my exchange server, kindly find below my simple configuration on Vmware:

1- A machine with the AD role

2- A machine with the Netbackup server 6.5.2 role

3- A machine with the Exchange server 2007 sp1 role installed with no rollups

4- A user is created in AD and assigned full control on the exchange server from the Adsiedit and the permissions are inherited to all the child objects, it is also added to the local administrator group on the exchange server.

5- The Netbackup client service on the exchange server run under the context of the User in step 4.

6- A policy is created in the Netbackup server with the type "MS-Exchange-Server", client "My exchange server" and backup selection " First storage group\Mailbox Database"

When trying the configured policy, it ends up with the error stated below:

ERR - failure reading file: Microsoft Information Store:\First Storage Group\Log files (BEDS 0xE0008488: Access is denied.)

Can anyone help me solving this problem.

Thanks in advance

9 REPLIES 9

Roobix_Cube
Level 5
Welcome to my nightmare... https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=21&message.id=46880.  Would love to find out if you get a resolution...

NBU_TSE
Level 4
Employee

Hi Dodge,

Please confirm if Exchange 2007 Server (within Vmware) is 64bit version and installed on x64 bit OS (Windows). NetBackup is not supported for 32-bit platform.

Also, if you are using CCR, please make sure you specify the Exchange virtual hostname as it appears in Exchange and not the node name in the policy.

Do you get the Access is Denied message only on the Log Files?

Also try specifying Microsoft Information Store:\First Storage Group in the backup selection and not the full path to the Mailbox database. This is because the log files are linked at the Storage Group level.

Regards

Gary (NetBackup Database Support Engineer)

Kevin_Good
Level 5
Certified
Try rolling your Exchange Server client level to 6.5.1 and run the backup.

Dodge
Level 3

Hi NBU_TSE,

I'm using the unsupported 32-bit version of Exchange 2007 :( , as you know, backing up the information store is not enough, i need to backup single mailbox.

Hi Kevin,

Do you know where can i find the 6.5.1 client, it's not found on Symantec site

Thanks for your reply

Dodge
Level 3
Thanks Kevin, i started downloading it now

NBU_TSE
Level 4
Employee

Hi Dodge,

If you are using the unsupported 32-bit version, then the backups will not work. You need to have a 64-bit environment for this to work.

Microsoft don't even support this, see the following page http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996719.aspx

Regards

Gary (NetBackup Database Support Engineer)

Dodge
Level 3

I know that Exchange 2007 32 bit is not supported in real environments, i was trying NBU in my lab.

Thanks

m3lyan
Level 3
Partner
did anyone find a work around solution for this problem
:(