cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error bptm (pid=3800) error requesting media, TpErrno = Robot operation failed

MamaCeceTram
Level 3

I am very new to this and really need help! As of right now I have backups failing for a couple issues. One has already been posted seperatly and now I am finding failures with the following:

Jun 28, 2011 8:11:02 PM - Error bptm (pid=3800) error requesting media, TpErrno = Robot operation failed
Jun 28, 2011 8:11:03 PM - Warning bptm (pid=3800) media id T01468 load operation reported an error
Jun 28, 2011 8:08:08 PM - current media T01468 complete, requesting next media Any
Jun 28, 2011 8:08:27 PM - current media -- complete, awaiting next media Any. Waiting for resources.
          Reason: Drives are in use, Media server: tck_backup03.hlsc,
          Robot Type(Number): TLD(0), Media ID: N/A, Drive Name: N/A,
          Volume Pool: TCK-SL500, Storage Unit: tck_backup03-hcart3-robot-tld-0, Drive Scan Host: N/A,
          Disk Pool: N/A, Disk Volume: N/A
Jun 28, 2011 9:37:24 PM - Waiting for scan drive stop HP.ULTRIUM3-SCSI.003, Media server: tck_backup03.hlsc
Jun 28, 2011 9:46:07 PM - Waiting for scan drive stop HP.ULTRIUM3-SCSI.003, Media server: tck_backup03.hlsc
Jun 28, 2011 9:56:07 PM - Waiting for scan drive stop HP.ULTRIUM3-SCSI.003, Media server: tck_backup03.hlsc
Jun 28, 2011 10:01:08 PM - Waiting for scan drive stop HP.ULTRIUM3-SCSI.003, Media server: tck_backup03.hlsc
Jun 28, 2011 10:07:11 PM - Waiting for scan drive stop HP.ULTRIUM3-SCSI.003, Media server: tck_backup03.hlsc
Jun 28, 2011 10:11:17 PM - end writing
An extended error status has been encountered, check detailed status  (252)

Can someone please help me figure out what is going on with my wonky robot!

They are only occurring on our Windows systems and all drives are up and active. I am using Netbackup 6.5

6 REPLIES 6

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

1 - physically check that tape make sure it is in correct.

2- how many media servers do you have

3- do you have SSO

Lets start with those questions and see where it leads us.

MamaCeceTram
Level 3

1 - The tapes are inserted correctly.

2 - Hundreds

3 - yes we have SSO

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

Any errors/warning reported in event viewer?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Run vmquery -m T01468

Look in output to find which slot number is the robot the tape is in.

Run robtest (in volmgr/bin )

Select the robot number.

Run 's s'

Scroll down the output to check that the tape really is in the slot as reported by vmquery.

Lets us presume for the moment that it is in the right slot.

Quit back to the robtest command prompt (press q I think, or just ext (Ctrl-C and go back in)

Run 

m sX dY

X = slot number of tape

D = drive number 

Does ths load the tape, or do you get an error ?????

If this loads, ok, unload like this 

m dY sX

Next - Logs :

On robot control host server

mkdir -p /usr/openv/volmgr/debug/robots 

touch /usr/openv/volmgr/ROBOT_DEBUG  (on robot control host) (If windows, create an empty file of this name)

The logs we would get are the ones above +

/var/adm/messages (from media server) / System event log

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/media/errors

Unix is as above
Windows is similar, but path will be bit different <install path>\veritas\volmgr

martin

sarsingh
Level 4

-- did you check the robot physically or thru GUI and find any errors on the console

-- check the picker arm.

-- look for any errors in /var/adm/messages of the master server

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Windows Media Servers do not always 'play nice' in an SSO environment.

In addition to Martin's excellent troubleshooting tips, double-check the 'basics' on these media servers:

• For 32-bit servers, use the Veritas tape drivers
  • Ensure that Removable Storage Service is stopped and set to Disabled.
  • Verify that Persistent Binding is done at HBA level (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31246)
  • Disable "Test Unit Ready" (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH32254)

Also see this excellent article: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/tuning-windows-2003-and-2008-symantec-netbackup