cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error while Restore Virtual Machine by NetBackup + VCB

NMC
Level 2

Good Day!

I have a same problem while restoring the Virtual Machine by "Backup, Archive, and Restore" utility.

What I do:

1. I make the backup by NetBackUp + VCB = is succesfull!

2. I delete the Virtual Machine from disk in Virtual Center.

3. I run  "Backup, Archive, and Restore" utility & try to restore backuped Virtual Machine. I didn't have a errors, i have a "all operation complete & succesful restore" string in job log, but i don't view a restored virtual machine inVirtual Center.

Please, tell me, where is mistake? Why VMWare Converter does not add the virtual machine? Maybe he does not start?

Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

NMC
Level 2
please help :( realy needed

Franck_Paris
Level 3
Employee Accredited

Hi,

In point 2, you mention "I delete the Virtual Machine from disk in Virtual Center".

Then you restore and get the status "all operation complete & succesful restore".

Check that physically the vmdk files have been recreated.

If the files are there, then the machine have been restored but you may have to recreate the Virtual machine in Virtual center, pointing at the restored files. Could you try that?

NMC
Level 2
Yes, i did try that. I can to add restored (unpacked by NetBackup) Virtual Machine in Virtual Center manualy using VMWare Converter, but in an automatic mode that does not work.
Message Edited by NMC on 10-13-2008 02:39 AM

ReneeC
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified
I am having the same issue...did you ever get a resolution?

Nick_F1
Level 3
I had a similar issue and came across a permissions error in one of the backup logs. I changed the VCB user to be a DataCenter Admin (rather than the new ESX 3.5 VCB user role) and everything worked after. It looks like the VCB VC user role has the rights to backup but not restore VMs.

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified

Hi,

me too have the same issue, as of now i am restoring to proxy server and using Vm convertor moving to VC

regards,

Srikanth.

Nick_F1
Level 3
Further to my earlier reply - don't make the backup user a datacenter admin after all as that lacks create snapshot rights (I don't understand how it's working in one of our environments though, I can only think it's cached permissions from when it was originally a VCB user). It certainly works as an Administrator but that's a bit overkill, I'm currently planning to do some test and create a new role with the required rights (not going to edit the VCB User role in case it gets reverted to derfault in a future update).

NMC
Level 2

I did it!

1. Look, is your backup user in Virtual Center as Administrator & have all rights?

2. If you have a Windows 2003 (x64), search the entry in regedit.exe on "VMWare, Inc." , & move the VMWare entry in HKLM/SOFTWARE/VMWare, Inc./ and change "InstallPath" to "C:\Program Files\VMWare\VMWare Converter"

3. After making backup, try to restore your backup virtual machine on storage, using "Backup, Archive, & Restore". After restoring, try to execute the "VMWare Converter"and try to convert restored virtual machine in Virtual Center manualy under backup user. If all good, remove restored machine from storage (where U restore this VM) & try to restore virtual machine in Virtual Center using "Backup, Archive, & Restore" utility.

If U have any errors or your machine is not  restored in Virtual Center, see the log file: C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\logs\bpVMutil (try to remove all logs in this folder, before restoring)

4. Any questions? Post in this thread, I try to answer...

Giroevolver
Level 6

I also found that if I give the VCB account administrator privilages to VC it works fine. Does anyone a fine tuned VCB account setup for restores?

Thanks

Mark

Stev
Level 3
Partner Accredited
how can i change a vcb account?

Stev
Level 3
Partner Accredited
how can i change a vcb account?