Master
NBU version: 8.0

Media
Netbackup Appliance 5240
NBU Version: 3.0

Client:
Microsoft Exchange 2007
NBU Version: 7.6.1

Problem: Backup job fail with status 71,even having an exchange account admin. I set this account at Netbackup services on the client,but when I open the BAR from the client, I cant see the Information Store, and when I ran a manual backup the backup job fail with status 71.

Can you help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thiago_Ribeiro
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Everyone,

The problema was solved. I found this article http://www.veritas.com/docs/000032498, and it has the step by step how to configure Netbackup for Exchange over backup network.

In my case, the client hostname has the caracters " bkp" , before the client name and this allow the access throught the backup network, this is particular config in the customer that Im working.

I put an entry on Hosts file on Master and Media servers ( Appliance), using the public hostname of client to the backup IP address, ran the bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache on both master and media, and after that I saw the Information Store by the browse policy.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Thiago Ribeiro

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Did you check Compatibility Lists?
Even Microsoft no longer supports W2003.

Marianne
Level 6

I just had a look at NBU 7.6 DB SCL. It seems that 7.6.1 client should work.

Is this standalone or clustered Exchange? 

How was Exchange backed up until now (bearing in mind that NBU8 is brand new)?

Can you navigate Exchange Management Console using the same user logon?

Although this is not GRT backup, you may want to go through this TN to ensure all is fine as far as service logon is concerned.
http://www.veritas.com/docs/000068163

NetBackup 7.6.0.3 for Exchange Administrator's Guide  contains quite a number of requirements as far as credentials are concerned.
Have you configured Exchange properties in Client's Host Properties?  

I also see this on p.37: 
If you configure the NetBackup Client Service with a logon account and configure
the Exchange credentials in the Exchange client host properties, you must
configure the “Replace a process level token” for both users

More on page 45:
Configuring the account for NetBackup Exchange operations (Exchange 2007)

Page 88:
Policy recommendations for Exchange Server 2007 backups 

Thiago_Ribeiro

Hi Marianne,

This is the answers.

Did you check Compatibility Lists?

Yes, I saw the SCL from Netbackup 7.6.1 and think the same.First I saw the SCL from Netbackup 8.0 and its not supported anymore, acctually since Netbackup 7.7

I just had a look at NBU 7.6 DB SCL. It seems that 7.6.1 client should work.

Is this standalone or clustered Exchange?

In the past was a cluster, nowadays its standalone exchange.

How was Exchange backed up until now (bearing in mind that NBU8 is brand new)?

Acctually this is the first backup. I need to do the first backup and restore because exchange admin need migrate the data to another version of Exchange. The currently backup software its not safe according them.

Can you navigate Exchange Management Console using the same user logon?

I can open the Exchange Console and navigate trhough it.

I config the exchange account on Netbackup Services but not in client- host properties - windows-exchange.

Do you believe that is necessary? This document ( https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.DOC8238), that you sent me I already use to configure this backup. Thanks.

My main doubt is if even having Master and Media in version 8.0 and client 7.6.1 its a supported configuration?

As far as I know, if your master is not a lower version than your mediaserver or client, and your mediaserver not a lower version than your client, you will not have compatibility issues.

master server version > media server version > client version

Are you using a DAG?
If you are using a DAG, you should also fill in the Distributed Application Restore mapping. 

Marianne
Level 6

You can find version compatibility in NetBackup Release Notes 

If I was battling with backup failures and not able to see Information Stores in BAR GUI on the client, I would personally go through the manual and look for all references to 2007 and configure accordingly.

Please see the sections in the manual that I have referenced in my previous post.

**** Correction ****

Compatibility between NetBackup versions  can now be found in NBU 8 OS SCL:  http://www.veritas.com/docs/000115691

Thiago_Ribeiro

Hi DigPVB,

Yes thought the same.

In the past was a cluster, nowadays its standalone exchange but yes is a DAG.

Since it is a DAG, can you tell me whether you have used the DAG name as a client name, or the hostname of the node on which the DAG is running? To my knowledge the client will find nothing when using the hostname of the node, but will correctly display when browsing if you are using the DAG name...

Thiago_Ribeiro

Hi Marianne,

Thanks for your anwser. Im seeing the sections from yout previous post and reading the manual of Netbackup Exchange to look for something that I could had forget.

Marianne
Level 6
Exch 2007 CANNOT be a DAG.
DAG was introduced in Exch 2010 which is a cluster.

Thiago_Ribeiro

Hi DigPVB,

Sorry for this I made a mistake, its not a DAG, its a Standalone Exchange.

Thiago_Ribeiro

Hi Marianne,

Sorry for this I made a mistake when I was typing, its not a DAG, its a Standalone Exchange 2007.

Lowell_Palecek
Level 6
Employee

I expect your configuration to work. NetBackup 7.6.1 can back up Exchange 2007. The Windows version is not important. (I can't prove this; my Windows 2003 server was carted away last year.)

I'm concerned with what you mean by the following:

> ... when I open the BAR from the client...

By "BAR" do you mean the Windows BAR application, nbWin, sometimes referred to as the MFC GUI, or were you using the remote NetBackup Console? Assuming the former, under which account did you open the BAR application?  Did you use "Run As..."?

The purpose of executing the NetBackup Client Service as a certain account is so that it will execute various client processes (bpfis, bpbkar32, tar32, etc.) with the account.

> ... when I ran a manual backup...

Do you mean that you configured a policy and invoked "Run manual backup" in the NetBackup Console with that policy? Or did you ask the BAR application to back up something?  Or did you execute bpbackup from a command window?  If you ran a policy manually (as opposed to on a schedule), how did you create the backup selection list for the policy?

Error 71 is "files don't exist," which is equivalent to your woes in the BAR app.

For Exchange 2007, NetBackup supports both snapshot backups and "streaming" backups, by which we mean using an Exchange API that "streams" the backup data to bpbkar32.  Which kind of backup did you try?

I think for Exchange 2007 you don't need to configure Exchange credentials in the client host properties, and I think you don't need to worrry about the privilege to replace a process token. Configuring these would do no harm. I can confirm whether you need them if necessary.

Thiago_Ribeiro

Hi Everyone,

The problema was solved. I found this article http://www.veritas.com/docs/000032498, and it has the step by step how to configure Netbackup for Exchange over backup network.

In my case, the client hostname has the caracters " bkp" , before the client name and this allow the access throught the backup network, this is particular config in the customer that Im working.

I put an entry on Hosts file on Master and Media servers ( Appliance), using the public hostname of client to the backup IP address, ran the bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache on both master and media, and after that I saw the Information Store by the browse policy.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Thiago Ribeiro

Marianne
Level 6
Glad you managed to fix it.

You will agree that this is the first time that you mentioned the use of a backup network.

It is always good to mention ALL relevant information...

Thiago_Ribeiro

Yes, was the first time, I forgot to mention this when post this, sorry for this.