Did you mean: 

Exchange GRT restore from a 5020 NBU appliance

Stefaan_Margot1
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi,

I have the following setup

NBU Master 7.1.0.3 running on RHEL 6

NBU Media Server 7.1.0.3 mixed on RHEL and Windows.

Exchange 2010

---

I'm trying to do GRT restores from a backup that is stored on a 5020 Appliance.

When I'm browsing the backup, I can drill down until I see the mailboxes.  When I want to look inside the mailbox, I get the following message :

ERROR : Database System Error.

When I store the backup on a basic disk storage unit on a Media Server, it runs fine and I can do GRT restores. The problem only occurs when the backup is on the appliance

All help appreciated.

TIA

Stefaan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sebastian_Baszc
Level 5

Hey Mate,

I had the same problem is 7.1.0.2. Once the EEB was applied, the problem disappeared. I would recommend logging the case with SYMC support. It doesn't look like you have the problem with the configuration if you can actually take the backup, but have the issue browsing the image. 

S

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Two possibilities here ....

1. Your fragment size is too large on the appliance storage unit - try another backup with a 5000MB fragment size and see if that one works

2. Is your appliance up to date? http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH171032 was the issue but fixed in 7.1.0.3 so you need to make sure your appliance is up to date

Try the fragment size first

Stefaan_Margot1
Level 4

Changed the fragment size to 5000MB and yes the appliance is up to date.

Problem is still there.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Have you done another backup since changing the fragment size and selected that one to expand?

Stefaan_Margot1
Level 4

yes I've done another backup.

is there a direct connection between the Exchange server and the appliance when I'm browsing the backup image?.  

From my point of view, the only difference between the basic disk STU and the appliance STU is the fact that the basic disk is locally attached on the media server, where the appliance STU talks to the appliance over the network.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Yes - the hotfix included in 7.1.0.3 does two things - it bypasses the hardcoded timeout in bpcd on the Master, Media and Clients and also does the same to the bpdbm timeout on the Master.

Important to have all at 7.1.0.3.

You could try adding the appliance as the proxy grt host (exchange clients host properties) so that it doesnt have to talk back to the exchange server - may speed it up for you.

Also - only select a single backup image (little round green shere) in the BAR GUI

Stefaan_Margot1
Level 4

same problem

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Worth checking for errors on the proxy host / exchange client to see if is still matches what should be fixed in 7.1.0.3 : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH171032

If there are then raise a support call

Sebastian_Baszc
Level 5

Hey Mate,

I had the same problem is 7.1.0.2. Once the EEB was applied, the problem disappeared. I would recommend logging the case with SYMC support. It doesn't look like you have the problem with the configuration if you can actually take the backup, but have the issue browsing the image. 

S