Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Public folder backup fail - error 13

KSG
Level 4

Hi,

NBU 6.5.1 - Windows Environment.

File system & mailbox backup for  Exchange 2003 serveris working fine But only Exchange public folder backup fails with error 13. I request you to kindly help in solving this.

9/8/2008 11:15:23 AM - begin writing

9/8/2008 11:15:40 AM - Error bpbrm(pid=20796) socket read failed, An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.  (10054)

9/8/2008 11:15:40 AM - Error bptm(pid=20748) socket operation failed - 10054 (at child.c.1294)     

9/8/2008 11:15:40 AM - Error bptm(pid=20748) unable to perform read from client socket, connection may have been broken

9/8/2008 11:15:50 AM - Error bpbrm(pid=20796) could not send server status message      

9/8/2008 11:15:52 AM - end writing; write time: 00:00:29

8 REPLIES 8

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

check your DNS settings and ensure bpclntcmd -hn, -ip, -self, -pn work fine, do this with your master and media server.

hope this helps.

regards

KSG
Level 4

Hi Omar,

Thanks for your information. As i informed the mailbox, file system backup on the exchange server are working fine. 

I Checked the bpclntcmd commands. it is ok. so no problem in name resolution.

kindly let me know if any other things needs to be done.

Grzegorz_Kedzio
Level 3
Partner

Hi All,

I have exactly the same problem. After litte testing we have found that:

Master 6.5.2, Client 6.5/6.5.1 - no problem

Master 6.5.2, Media 6.5/6.5.1/6.5.2, Client 6.5/6.5.1 - no problem

Master 6.5.2, Media 6.5.2 (Media is Exchange) - error 13

Master 6.5.2, media 6.5/6.5.1/6.5.2, Client 6.5.2 - not tested

Is seems that there is problem if Exchange server has 6.5.2. We have not tested cleints with 6.5.2. Unfortunately we have no solution and waiting for any news.

Best:

Grzegorz Kedziora

Grzegorz_Kedzio
Level 3
Partner

Hi All,

In "Documentation Update" we have found:

For mailbox-level backups with Windows 2003 and Exchange 2007,

download and install the Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and

Collaboration Data Objects package. Version 6.05.7888 or higher is required.

You can find this package at:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/

NetBackup 6.5.2 does not support mailbox-level backups and restores on

Windows 2008. At the time of this release, Microsoft has yet to provide a

MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects package that is compatible with

Windows 2008.

but we do not want to test is such installation on our production servers. I will test on my lab and will post results.

Best:

Grzegorz Kedziora

KSG
Level 4

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have Master& Media server both are on same physical system. Exchange server having NBU client 6.5.2.

Do you think i should downgrade the client to 6.5.1 and the problem will be solved. Kindly revert back. 

Roobix_Cube
Level 5

Hi Grzegorz,

Can you please provide the link to the documentation to which you referred?  Or is it in the standard 6.5 release notes?

Thanks!

Grzegorz_Kedzio
Level 3
Partner

Hi All,

Documentation Update http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/302438.htm is for Exchange 2007 thats why I would rather not install this MAPI.

Reverting client to 6.5.1 shoutd solve this problem. I have litte more problem because it would need to revert my Media Server and I do not want to do this. But reverting only client (uninstalling NBU-6.5.2 I do not tknow if it is possible or uninstalling all NBU client and instlling again up to 6.5.1) shout solve the problem.

Best:

Grzegorz Kędziora

Grzegorz_Kedzio
Level 3
Partner

Hi All,

I have found solution that works for me and probably will work for you also.

Problem is inside new version of "nbMAPIProv.dll" (version 6.5.2008.618 is bad) combined with "Client Permissions" to each public folder. NetBackup uses "Default" entry to read messages, and this entry should be set to "Reviewer" for successful backup (to be able also to restore messages it is better to set "Publishing Author"). If you do not want to set "Default" entry to something else than "None" (remember that this will enable/disable acces for everyone in Exchange organization) you must add explicity service account that is used for "NetBackup Client Service" (the same that is defined in client Exchange properties) and assign to this account "Publishing Author".

If you have tons of public folders and do not want to check all of them you can temporary replace "nbMAPIProv.dll" form 6.5.2 with version form 6.5.0/6.5.1 (version 6.5.2007.723 is good). When you start backup with this DLL it will not die but list folders without permisions. This could be useful also is you want to backup all folders except some of them (then leave changed DLL and it will not backup folders wihout permisions and will not die but finish with status 1).

Best:

Grzegorz Kedziora