cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange mailbox account restore with netbacup 6.5

osesan
Not applicable

One of my colleague wanted to restore her mailbox and she said me to restore from backup and wwe have to also restore immediately but i am new on this job. Netbackup version is 6.5 and it backups Information Store of Exchange 2007.

I need to resore her mailbox and folders in mailbox.

How can i do that? Windows server 2003, Exchange 2007.

Please advise me.

I need to solve this

1 REPLY 1

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

N.B. to have Symantec support your backups, your Windows 2003 server must be 64bit.  Symantec do NOT support using NetBackup v6.5.2 (and above) to secure MS Exchange 2007 running on Windows 2003 32bit.

I guess you must be running at least NetBackup v6.5.2 to be able to backup MS Exchange 2007 mailstores.  But individual mailbox restore is not possible.  See your MS Exchange 2007 documentation on how to restore a mailstore to the MS Exchange "RSG" (Recovery Storage Group) - BUT, I am not an Exchange Admin - I don't know if this will then allow an individual mailbox to be copied from the RSG to the original mailstore.

Anyway, some other points:

I don't even know if mailbox backups are possible with NetBackup v6.5.2.  Does anyone know?  I do know that individual mailbox backups are far too slow and flakey to rely on when using NetBackup v5.1 and MS Exchange 2000.

Mailbox restores are not yet supported from a "mailstore" backup in NetBackup v6.5.2.  I believe individual mailbox restores will be possible in v6.5.3 (i.e. master, media and client must be running v6.5.3) - BUT the "image" (of the mailstore) that you restore from cannot be on tape - it must be an image in a disk storage unit.  N.B. NetBackup v6.5.3 is not yet available.  And Symantec reserve the right not to introduce this functionality in v6.5.3.  Will they?  Won't they?

Our solution, until v6.5.3 and we allocate disk storage to multiple media servers, is:

- MS Exchange 2007 SP1 in Windows 2003 R2 SP2 64bit, with NetBackup client v6.5.2.

- We run mailstore backups to tape.

- If we need to restore one mailbox or even one mail item, we restore the required mailstore to the RSG on the Exchange 2007 server, and then use OnTrack Power Controls to mount/read the mailstore, and restore individual mailboxes and mail items.  But this solution works so well that we might not bother with mailbox restores from disk images of mailstores.

HTH.