cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclude list

Rajeswari
Level 4
Hi,

I have few new windows clients added to Netbackup.Now i need to exclude few files for these new clients.Instead excluding it from GUI i want to do through command line.

i have kept all the exclude file list in a file called exclude.how can i add this exclude file to my new windows clients?

Thanks,
P.Rajeswari
16 REPLIES 16

Stumpr2
Level 6
it is a registry edit

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
just add your list to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\Exclude

regards

Stumpr2
Level 6
I think there may be an older posting in this forum that shows one wat to propogate that entry to a list of clients via a basic script.

Rajeswari
Level 4
can it be done from master server?instead logging on each client.I have around 100 clients to do.

Thanks,
P.Rajeswari

Stumpr2
Level 6
no, it would not even be NetBackup related. It is a registry issue not a Netbackup issue.

Talk with one of your windows admins about how to make a registery change on 100 clients. If they cannot answer then they should be fired! j/k

Honestly the windows admin should know how to manage the windows registery for the site.

Venkatesh_K
Level 5
Why do you prefer excluding via commandline !!!!!!!!!!!!!

pkunk
Level 3
{{{I have few new windows clients added to Netbackup.Now i need to exclude few files for these new clients.Instead excluding it from GUI i want to do through command line.}}

Are you trying to exclude the dates of these 100 clients or delete some of the backup selections for the cleints?

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
Take a "bpplclients -allunique -L" listing. Iterate through that, and for each Windows box then;
Take a "bpgetconfig -M <clientname> EXCLUDE" listing to a temp file, then;
Do a "find -i "EXCLUDE = <yourpath>" tmp.txt" to see if your file exclusion already exists;
If it doesn't exist then append your new exclusion to the tmp file and;
Then use "bpsetconfig -h <clientname> tmp.txt" to post the updated list of exclusions to the client;
Then iterate next entry from the list of clients.

hope this helps.
regards

Rajeswari
Level 4
HI,

Thanks much for your information.I have followed the steps mentioned below.

sudo /usr/openv/net*/bin/admi*/bpsetconfig -h hosta EXCLUDE

hosta is my client hostname
EXCLUDE is the file in which i mentioned all exclude file entries.

when i executed,it didnt throw any error.But exclude files are nill still.Can you pls tell where i went wrong.

Thanks,
P.Rajeswari

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
Hi,

In GUI select all the clients to which you want to make to changes to exclusion list, then add the file/extension you want to exclude.

pop up takes some time to come as it need to get the host properties from all the 100 clients..

let me know, if you are not able to follow the same, so that i shall send you the procedure screenshots.

regards,
Srikanth.

Message Edited by srikanthgubbala on 04-02-2008 03:17 AM

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Having just had a little play with the bpgetconfig/bpsetconfig commands you are going to have to be very careful or very clever with this. If you try & use the bpsetconfig just to add another entry into your windows clients' exclude list then please be aware that it will replace all existing exclude list entries:

eg:
To show current settings:
# bpgetconfig -M <client>  |  grep "^Exclude = "
Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\*.lock
Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bprd.d\*.lock
Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bpsched.d\*.lock
Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackupDB\data\*
Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\Volmgr\misc\*

Format of 'file':
# cat EXCLUDE
Exclude = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\example.txt

To update settings:
# bpsetconfig -h <client> EXCLUDE

To show updated settings:
# bpgetconfig -M <client>  |  grep "^Exclude = "
Exclude = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\example.txt

i.e. all the original one's have now been 'deleted'

For EACH client you would have to determine the current exclude list settings & cat to a file & then ADD your new entry to that file, then use the combined file to update each client

e.g.
# bpgetconfig -M <client>  |  grep "^Exclude = " > EXCLUDE
# echo "
Exclude = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\example.txt" >> EXCLUDE
#
bpsetconfig -h <client> EXCLUDE

Just test it out on a test server or your PC (if it's a client), until you're comfortable with what it does before potentially destroying all your exclude lists if you get it wrong. I would ensure you have a file of each clients current settings - just in case!!

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

@srikanthgubbala wrote:
Hi,

In GUI select all the clients to which you want to make to changes to exclusion list, then add the file/extension you want to exclude.

pop up takes some time to come as it need to get the host properties from all the 100 clients..

let me know, if you are not able to follow the same, so that i shall send you the procedure screenshots.

regards,
Srikanth.

Message Edited by srikanthgubbala on 04-02-2008 03:17 AM

THAT is much easier and MUCH, MUCH SAFER!!!Smiley Surprised

Stumpr2
Level 6
And as long as you are having the windows admin make the registry entries site wide,
I also suggest the exclude list be included as part of the basic load of new clients when NetBackup is installed..
Why go back and do it via the GUI as it is an extra effort.

Try to force this issue as it will help you in the future for making other registry changes.
I avoid personally changing client properties as I have thousands of clients not hundreds.
Automation...what a concept.

Zmiley
Level 3
Hello,

you can check your "victory" with "bpgetconfig -M <clientname>"

Execute it into a file before and after you use bpsetconfig. There are all netbackup config-settings from the client.

In one of the of the lines the excludes and includes are listed. When you use bpsetconfig, this entrys are written in the registry by the netbackup-client.

bye
Smiley

Rajeswari
Level 4
Andy,
Thanks much for your reply.Its working.I have put it  in a script and finally its working.
Once again thanks to everyone.

Thanks,
P.Rajeswari

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Pleasure. Smiley Happy