Twinkle_Sapra
Level 5
Certified
Hi

We are using the following env.

NetBackup 5.1 MP4

Win 2003 platform

Adic Scalar 1000 ( LTO-2)

We have purchased New Adic Liabrary i500(LTO-3)

I want to migrate the master server to new server ( new liabrary is attached to this).I have install the Netbackup 5.1 on new server.Now how to move the catalog on this server????.

Old server name  :  GGNM3BAA

New Server Name:  INGGNM7BAA

I copied the following folders on it

C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\db

C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\database

C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\var

I again configured Storage devices and Storage Unit.

All media refering to old server.When i run bpmedialist -m command,It showing media is not in database.I am not able to even old restore.

I am not able to find any relevant documentation to migrate master server.

8 REPLIES 8

Stumpr2
Level 6

Twinkle Sapra wrote:

Adic Scalar 1000 ( LTO-2)

We have purchased New Adic Liabrary i500(LTO-3)

All media refering to old server.When i run bpmedialist -m command,It showing media is not in database.I am not able to even old restore.

I am not able to find any relevant documentation to migrate master server.

How are you addressing the different tape structure from old system LTO2 into new system with LTO3?

Twinkle_Sapra
Level 5
Certified
When i configured storage devices i move all the media to "standalone".Before that , i wasn't able to configure storage devices.I am not so mature in Netbackup.

zippy
Level 6
Twinkle,

Your trying to move to a new libray that is attached to a new server, this new server has a new hostname--- correct?

The way you doing it wil not work, you WILL get the a DB eror on youre old tapes.

You can migrate to a new server that has a new hostname (search my ID for hostname bp.conf vm.conf) to make this work or keep the old hostname.

I know your tape library is backward compatable to the old library.

JD

Stafford
Level 4
Easiest way (imho):

1. name new server = oldname_temp
2. Run offline backup of catalog on old server to disk, copy over the network to new server
3. Shut down old server
4. rename new server to match old server name
5. install netbackup, patch, etc
6. Run catalog import wizard and restore catalog from disk
7. configure new library

Twinkle_Sapra
Level 5
Certified
I have discussed with my Team Lead, We will run both the servers parallely for some days.

If we go to the scenario to keep the host name same,can i copy the catalog (folders) to default location of new server or i have
to run catalog import wizard.May you help from where i should run catalog import wizard.Are you saying about the import image wizard.

Stafford
Level 4
Actually, I just realized you are still on 5.1 so there is no catalog restore wizard.  Use bprecover.  Some people like to copy everything over.  Recovering the catalog hasn't failed me yet and I've done it a bunch of times.

Changing the server name definitely complicates the process and I would recommend calling Symantec Consulting.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
Because you are moving to the same version of Netbackup you can only copy the images to the new box and in case you need to restore you can always use the FORCED_RESTORE option to use a different media server, but you will be fine.

Twinkle_Sapra
Level 5
Certified
Thanx to all for resolving the issue.

I keep the same host name and restore the catalog.Now its working fine.There was a problem when i was doing the restoration.Error was " requested drives are not configured"

I have resolved the issue of restoration.

I have 4 tape drives of LTO-3 in new box.I changed one of the drive type to hcart2.Now I am able to restore.I have one doubt,is this drive able to backup as my all  media ( for backup) in new box is hcart3(LTO-3)and library is LTO-3(write) and LTO-2(read,backward capability).

Sorry for 1 more question.

can catalog data of old server  be merged on new one because i will run both servers  parallely for few days.Restoration of Catalog(of old server) will overwrite the old catalog(of new server) and i want to merge the old catalog on new one without overwritting.