Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Extention Exclusions

Ridha
Level 3
HI Guys

Quick Question

Is it possible to exlcude certain file extentions, for example excluding .mp3 files.

Also what impact would this have on the speed of backups?

Kind Regards
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dion
Level 6
Certified
I doubt you will save much time on excluding smallish files like .mp3 - NetBackup will still build a list of all the target files and will later apply the exclusion list which will add time to the selection part. You will score the time based on the fact that NetBackup does not need the extra IO time to write the .mp3 files and to set their archive bit.

To see any major benefit, it would be better to only specify the required folders in the include list rather than having ALL LOCAL DRIVES and then excluding a bunch of files - this is not always practical though.  If you are talking about thousands upon thousands of files, you would probably see a fair difference.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Patrick_Whelan_
Level 6
Yes you can exclude mp files. *.mp3 in the exclude list. If it is a real OS you could even do *.mp* or *.mp[1-4], etc.
As far as the speed impact I'm afraid I can speak to that. Maybe someone else will chime in with the answer.

Dion
Level 6
Certified
I doubt you will save much time on excluding smallish files like .mp3 - NetBackup will still build a list of all the target files and will later apply the exclusion list which will add time to the selection part. You will score the time based on the fact that NetBackup does not need the extra IO time to write the .mp3 files and to set their archive bit.

To see any major benefit, it would be better to only specify the required folders in the include list rather than having ALL LOCAL DRIVES and then excluding a bunch of files - this is not always practical though.  If you are talking about thousands upon thousands of files, you would probably see a fair difference.