cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File/Folder restores from NetBackup vStorage API backup

mcscocio
Level 3

I have a FlashBackup-Windows policy that backs up 8 Windows2003 VMs in NetBackpu 7.1.  The backup type in the snapshot options is set to "Mapped full VM backup."  All of the VMs have current VMWare tools, none of them have independent disks or RDM.  The backup jobs are successful (status code 0).  The size of data backed up is consistant with the virtual disk size.

For two of the VMs, the number of files backed up is very low (3-6 depending on full or incr backup).  I'm assuming those are just the files that make up the virtual machine (vmdk's, vmx, etc.).  For some reason, the files within the virtual disks are not indexed, and therefore, they are not available for restore.  When attempting a restore, I am able to select the full VM for restore, but the BAR client cannot find any selections to restore individual files/folders.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Do this for individual file restore

Select the type of restore, as follows:
■ For UNIX systems, on the Restore Files tab, select Normal Backups.
■ For Windows systems, click Files > Select Files and Folders to Restore > from Normal Backup

KS2
Level 5

To see file/folders of VM, make sure you are selecting "Restore from normal backup" instead of "Restore from virtual machine backup".

You should be able to see the files/folders when you select restore from normal backup in the select for restore option.

mcscocio
Level 3

The difference between the restore types is not the issue.  There are no selections available when trying to "Restore from normal backup".  How could this work if the files within the virtual disks were not indexed during the backup??

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

Does it give an error like you would normally see when entering a incorrect client/policy type in BAR or does it go through and simply doesn't list any files?

mcscocio
Level 3

Yes, it reads: "WARNING: unable to obtain list of files using specified search criteria."

mcscocio
Level 3

Was there an official answer to the question about dynamic disks in this thread? https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-vstorage-api-backup-vs-windows-dynamic-disk...

My VMs in question do have dynamic disks, but neither of them are in a RAID configuration.

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

Hi,

I don't believe it has anything to do with the disks (basic/dynamic). Are you using the same source client name when specifying the names in BAR? Are you using the name as it appears in the catalog (/db/images)?

mcscocio
Level 3

Yes, the name is the same.  I've tried both with all lowercase characters and all uppercase characters.  When these clients are backed up using the traditional client based backup, they show as all lowercase.  When they are backed up using the FlashBackup policy, they are selected from the vCenter server using their DisplayName, which is all uppercase.

In the /db/images folder, only the lowercase version is shown.  I believe the capitalization isn't likely to be the problem, because I have other VMs being backed up correctly with the same conditions (capitalized displayname in vCenter).

Thanks.

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

Hi,

I've seen issues where the name used to backup (specified in the policy) might the VM display name, but the backup is done on the VM Host name. This would then cause an issue when browsing but if you're using the name as its specified / listed in /db/images that shouldn't be an issue. Also, the fact that you can browse vmdk backups should indicate the name is correct.

Where are you browsing from, backup host or master?

Try adding the No.Restrictions touch file on the master under \db\altnames\ (shot in the dark....)

mcscocio
Level 3

No.Restrictions file didn't make any difference.

Symantec Support sent me this article to look at: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH162201.  However, this policy does not have Block Level Incremental backups checked, nor is Changed Block Tracking turned on for these VM's.  I'm questioning its relevance.

I'm attaching a partial screenshot so everyone can see what I am describing as far as few files being reported at backup time.  Hope it helps.

Thanks.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The number of files in the job realtes to the vmdk's, not the individual files backed up