cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Force Expired Media to a different Volume Pool ?

Scott_Murray
Level 3

Hello,

Can anyone please advise of a simple way of ensuring a particular range of barcoded tapes will always go back to a specific Volume Pool when they expire under NetBackup 6.5 ?

The reason for this is that we have a series of tapes used for Catalog Backups, and the barcodes are of the format CATxxx.

We have CATxxx tapes swapped in and out of tape libraries every month, and I want to ensure that whenever a CAT tape is inserted back into a tape library, it will automatically be placed in the CatalogBackup Volume Pool.

We have barcode rules to ensure that any new CATxxx media will go straight to the CatalogBackup pool, however, if a CATxxx tape is outside the library, and it expires, next time it's placed in the library it will go to Scratch.

I have tried using nbemmcmd to ensure we have the fields Current Volume Pool and Previous Volume Pool set as required, but expiry of a CATxxx tape always sends it back to Scratch.

Any suggestions appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

Alexander_Harri
Level 4

This is a known bug in 6.5. The solution is to upgrade to 6.5.2a.

See the following (windows, but the patch for your os should have the same fix): http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/305655.htm

See Etrack Incident = ET1133892
Message Edited by Alexander Harris on 08-20-2008 09:28 AM

Alexander_Harri
Level 4

I just checked the 6.5.1 release notes and it is fixed in that version as well.

Scott_Murray
Level 3

Thanks for this info.