cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full to tape with Incremental to Disk

Lucy
Level 3

I am trying to backup about 500 GB of data so I set up a full backup to tape which I will send to off site storage weekly and would then like to send my daily incrementals to disk.  My problem is that the incremental to disk is using a different storage unit.  When I completed the incremental backup last night to the SAN Storage Unit, it completed a full backup.  It seems like it doesn't realize that a full backup was completed previously to tape.  Is this working as designed or am I mising something?  I really don't have enough SAN Storage to complete full backups there but was trying to free up some of my tape drives during the night.  Thanks for any input.

2 REPLIES 2

Stumpr2
Level 6

If the schedules are in the same policy then it should not matter that different storage units are being used. Easy test would be to write the diffs to tape to see what you get.

Lucy
Level 3

Thank you Bob - this all within the same policy.  I did modify the policy yesterday though changing the previous Full Backup to only run once per week and added a new job to that policy to run the incrementals daily but to a different Storage Unit.  I looked at the amount of data backed up to the new storage unit as well as the data using the restore command and it sure looks like it backed up everything as a full backup.