cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone had issues backing up a NetApps mapped drive on a Win2003 client?

Shaigan
Level 3
Has anyone had issues backing up a NetApps mapped drive on a Win2003 client?

I'm running RHEL5U4 on my NBU server and trying to backup network drives on a Windows 2003 server client.
The client is getting the mapped drives from a NetApps filler (not sure of the version)
I keep getting failed backups with error code 71 when I try to back up the mapped drives but I can back up the local C drive fine.

I've made sure the Netbackup servie is running with an ID that has permissions to get to the mapped drive.
I've tried using the mapped drive letter in the Policy and also tried using the unc path in the policy to no avail.

When I log on to the server with the same ID as the service runs as I can get to the UNC path fine.

Any help/ideas would be greatly apreciated, thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Shaigan
Level 3
If anyones intersted this is the answer I got from the Symantec engineer I placed a call to.
Apparently NetBackup does not support mapped network drives like X:\ or S:\ etc.
You have to use  the full unc path in the form of    \\<server name>\<share name>\

This worked for me on my server using 6.5.5
But I've another server with an older version of Netbackup (5.1) that I am able to use mapped drives like X:\ just fine.
Seems NetBackup dropped support of mapped network drives sometime in between.

Regards,
Shaigan.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Have you selected 'Backup Network Drives' in the Attributes tab?

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
As Marianne has suggested, Backup network Drives should be selected. Also, in Backup Selections tab of policy make sure you have the drive letter specified, where you have mapped this network share, e.g. E:\ or F:\

Shaigan
Level 3
Thanks for your responses.
Yes I have "Backup Network drives" selected in the policy and yes I have the mapped network drives in the backup selections.
I've also tried using UNC paths in the back up selections and this doesn't work either.

I'm running version 6.5.5 on the server and 6.5.4 on the client if this make any difference.

Thanks
Shaigan.

Shaigan
Level 3
If anyones intersted this is the answer I got from the Symantec engineer I placed a call to.
Apparently NetBackup does not support mapped network drives like X:\ or S:\ etc.
You have to use  the full unc path in the form of    \\<server name>\<share name>\

This worked for me on my server using 6.5.5
But I've another server with an older version of Netbackup (5.1) that I am able to use mapped drives like X:\ just fine.
Seems NetBackup dropped support of mapped network drives sometime in between.

Regards,
Shaigan.