cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help:how to do restore in netbackup7.1?

leqiangw
Level 3

Dear support,

I encountered a problem when tried to restore my data via netbackup7.1. It always showed "No files found".

Can you please help to find the root cause for this problem?  thanks! See details below for my operations. 

1. The only way of restore I found in the admin console is as following. storage unit directory was /tmp/backup/. But when I filled browse directory with this path, following error displayed. I am very sure the backup data path is /tmp/backup and server is acm-dev16-n1-ext. 

2. The backup image were ready in this server.

3. following are the backup operations I did. all succeeded.

1) use manual backup in policy menu.

2) use backup archive and restore function.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

You have to specify the client you would like to restore. At the moment its set to the server (acm-dev16-n1-ext). Is this your master or the client? if you look at the picture you posted, NetBackup master should reflect the master server name. Source Client should reflect the cient that was backed up. Destination client should be the same if you want to restore back to that client. Policy Type should reflect what you backed up i.e. it must match what is listed in the policy that backed up the data.

The browse directory should be the location that you backed up on the client, NOT the location where the backup images are located i.e. NOT /tmp/backup. Just put / , that would work better.

Also, when was the backup taken? At the moment you're only looking for backups taken in the last day and bit. Put in an older date for the start date e.g. 08/01/2011

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

You have to specify the client you would like to restore. At the moment its set to the server (acm-dev16-n1-ext). Is this your master or the client? if you look at the picture you posted, NetBackup master should reflect the master server name. Source Client should reflect the cient that was backed up. Destination client should be the same if you want to restore back to that client. Policy Type should reflect what you backed up i.e. it must match what is listed in the policy that backed up the data.

The browse directory should be the location that you backed up on the client, NOT the location where the backup images are located i.e. NOT /tmp/backup. Just put / , that would work better.

Also, when was the backup taken? At the moment you're only looking for backups taken in the last day and bit. Put in an older date for the start date e.g. 08/01/2011

Marianne
Level 6

To browse/restore, you need the following:

The name of the CLIENT that was backed up. You select/specify this at the top of the screen:

Next, you need to know the PATH that was backed up on the CLIENT, not the path to the storage on the server.

So, if you have backed up /etc on client ABC, you need to select Source Client ABC, and select /etc under 'Browse directory', or select / to show everything backed up for client ABC within the period between Start Date and End Date.

Marianne
Level 6

You were too fast for me! cheeky

RiaanBadenhorst

I was in Nigeria for a week, need to "connect" :p

Dipendra_Singh
Level 4

Also check whether this was your normal backup or archive backup or raw partition backup so you need to change the type of restore accordingly to see the files in BAR panel and to restore it.

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

It seems like you backed it up via the FQDN, however under BAR you only typed in the short name.

leqiangw
Level 3

Thanks a lot for your replies. Now restore worked well. 

Riaan and Marianne provided the solution. I didn't notice the button for "specify NETBACKUP machines and policy type". It seems I only can mark one reply as solution. :-).

Riaan,

In this trial, master and client was the same machine. The backup happened between start date and end date.

I got another quesiton, did NB7.1 fully support IPV6? Is there any feature for IPV6 which should be turned on?

I tried IPV6 scenario. Master and client are different machine. And the environments for master and client are IPV6.  Then  backup operation failed with error "The system function gethostbyname() failed to find the client's hostname". It seems the hostname of client was not resolved. Here gethostbyname() may only apply to IPV4 address. 

Thanks,

Lucas

Marianne
Level 6

Please start a new discussion for your IPV6 question?

leqiangw
Level 3

I created one new discussion for IPV6 question. Thanks.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/did-nb71-fully-support-ipv6