cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed nbdb_unload

unkn0wnn
Level 4

Hello,

I need help running nbdb_unload on live system without breaking things...

Basically I have restored all db/images directory without nbdb and just need to read these files.

So we are in:

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/backupclient/1367000000

cd ../

We are now in /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/backupclient/

Can I now run this:

nbdb_unload 1367000000

Or can I just read these files somehow ?

else I need help on running nbdb_unload on /usr/openv/db/staging/ *.db

39 REPLIES 39

eduncan
Level 5
Employee

I am confused by your request.

The contents of:

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/backupclient/1367000000

Does not contain any NBDB information.  So what is the purpose of running nbdb_unload in that folder or against that folder?

ctime folders usually consist of .f files which are the image contants of a backup.  You have a better chance using cat_convert -dump to read the contents of a .f file.

nbdb_unload is a command to unload/backup the nbdb into dat files and sql scripts.  So you can read the contents of nbdb in ascii format.

Ok then so can I do cat_convert -dump /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/backupclient/1367000000

Or can I restore both images and db to a different directory and then do nbdb_unload etc ?

/tmp/restore/

eduncan
Level 5
Employee

I don't understand your ask.

What are you trying to do?

Think you need to go back to basics of what you want to do, for us to be able to help you.

Is this a partial catalog recovery ?

Old backups you need to restore ?

Or something else ?

Will advise against messing with the nbdb unless you are sure of what you doing, have done that in the past and still got the bruises. 

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

I am facing an issue where BAR data is missing for old infinity backups due to retentions set incorrectly within SLP and option expire after copy was used.

I have restored all db/images using bprecover partial way. It's failed to restore nbdb as DR image did not contain these.

Anyway now I have 60,000 of *.f files and I need to read these..

e.g.
1322000000:
total 32
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root    0 Feb 28  2017 client1212-data_1322352488_FULL.lck
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root    0 Feb 28  2017 client1212-data_1322352583_FULL.lck
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root    0 Feb 28  2017 client1212-data_1322353358_FULL.lck
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root   96 Feb 28  2017 tmp
-rw------- 1 root root   35 Jul  5 18:14 client1212-data_1322352488_FULL.f.Z
-rw------- 1 root root   35 Jul  5 18:14 client1212-data_1322352583_FULL.f.Z
-rw------- 1 root root   35 Jul  5 18:14 client1212-data_1322353358_FULL.f.Z
drwx------ 2 root root 8192 Nov  4 17:22 catstore
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    0 Dec 13 07:07 .lck

As I cannot just merge 2 catalogs into one this is all that ccan be done in order to get information I need...

eduncan
Level 5
Employee

What version of NetBackup is this?

All currently supported version consist of image headers in NBDB.  So for it to show up in BAR you will need to restore the NBDB.  nbdb_unload is not the way to do this.

I am on 7.5.0.4

eduncan
Level 5
Employee

That version is no longer supported.

But that is a version where the header files were moved in Sybase (NBDB).  So you will need to recover NBDB in addition to the .f files to be able to restore those images.

If they are on Tape..it might be easier to import the tapes.  Make sure you put it into a safe pool not used by backups, as it will get overwritten.

My tapes are write protected however I am trying to avoid lenght import phases 1 and 2 process...

here is what I have already been through: https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Missing-history-in-backup-archive-and-restore-including-CLI/m-p...

How abut that cat_convert tool ?

eduncan
Level 5
Employee

The procedure provided to you in that post is not something that VERITAS would support.  It is trying to get you to hack NBDB and could end up making the situation worst.  Should not be done on a product server.

If you can restore the catalog to a DR server you can run cat_export/cat_import commands to move Image headers around.  Again it would be easier to import it.

Hello,

Of course I can probably restore to DR, could you please help me on that ? e.g. how to restore to live DR and cat import/export/convert

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Restoring images is not going to solve your problem. 

Image expiration of disk images will delete images from disk.

Furthermore - expiration after duplication is not a problem - disk images will ONLY be expired after successful duplication.

The issue in your previous post was with retention on duplication that was set to 27 days (Storage Lifecycle Policy:    UK-AdvDisk-Tape-27dt-7od)

If you manage to get the images backup by whatever method, the images will simply expire again as a result of 27-day retention.

Your only option is to import the tapes. Change retention after phase 2 import.

PS:
If you started with imports 2 weeks ago when you first noticed the issue, you could've probably be finished by now... 

Marianne, it is like that for a reason, I want backups to be available for 27days, is that a problem ? If so please advise...

Marianne because what i am missing is INFINITY backups, e.g. BAR data for infinity images that expired prematurely...

Marianne
Level 6

With expiration date of 27 days, ALL image records in NBU will be removed after 27 days. 
You posted an example in your previous post that had an expiration date for images on tape for 10 December (27 days from backup).

You cannot browse for those images or restore from it. 
As I have said, even backed up data is deleted from disk. 

Your only hope is to import the write-protected tapes and change the retention to match business requirements.

Marianne
Level 6

@unkn0wnn wrote:

Marianne because what i am missing is INFINITY backups, e.g. BAR data for infinity images that expired prematurely...

You have not provided us with any evidence of SLP with Infinity retention or backups (bpimagelist) written with SLP other than  UK-AdvDisk-Tape-27dt-7od.

SLP with these retentions:

Backup to disk  - Retention Expire after Duplication 
      Duplicate to Tape -  Retention Infinity

will ONLY expire and delete disk images after successful duplication.
The duplication to tape will be written with Infinity retention.

The only explanation for your issue is that :
1. Policies were not updated with correct SLP
2. Someone has manually expired images on tape.

Marianne

The only explanation for your issue is that :
1. Policies were not updated with correct SLP
2. Someone has manually expired images on tape.

My issue is that bar data is unavailable for old infinity backups,

Nobody expired the missing data/images on catalog

Marianne
Level 6

As I have said:

You have not provided us with any evidence of SLP with Infinity retention or backups (bpimagelist) written with SLP other than  UK-AdvDisk-Tape-27dt-7od.

If nobody has expired backups, this this possibility still remains: 

Policies were not updated with correct SLP.

Schedule:              Period_End
    Type:                Full Backup
    Maximum MPX:         1
    Synthetic:           0
    Checksum Change Detection: 0
    PFI Recovery:        0
    Retention Level:     0 (1 week)
    Number Copies:       1
    Fail on Error:       0
    Residence:           UK-AdvDisk-Tape-Infinity
    Volume Pool:         (same as policy volume pool)
    Server Group:        (same as specified for policy)
    Calendar sched: Enabled
      SPECIFIC DATE 0 - 08/31/2013
    Residence is Storage Lifecycle Policy:         1
    Schedule indexing:     0
    Daily Windows: