cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I recover the full NBU db catalog ?

Vickie
Level 6
Dear Experts,

I have a query:

If we have catalog configured with frequency of 24 hours.
Now the next backup will run after 24 hours only.

But in the mean time we met an Disaster (let say 20 hrs later than the previous Catalog backup).
And many of the clients got backed up during these 20 hrs. 

How can I recover the full NBU db catalog ? 
We can get it recover upto the last catalog backup by doing DR, but how about the next images appended in catalog db in next 20 hrs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jim_dalton
Level 6

Its a point in time catalog backup you have, so the recovery point is that point in time. These issues are business requirements that drive solutions to meet them

Have a look at AIR instead.

Jim

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jim_dalton
Level 6

Its a point in time catalog backup you have, so the recovery point is that point in time. These issues are business requirements that drive solutions to meet them

Have a look at AIR instead.

Jim

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

All backup since last catalog backup would be lost. Thsi is however extramly rare - consider host based mirroring across two storage arrays and you should be very secure. 

sclind
Level 6

Could you not import the tapes taken after the catalog backup?

Vickie
Level 6

Jim, how can we configure point in time catalog backup ?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

In a busy environment, one catalog per day may not be enough.
You may want to add differential schedules at regular intervals throughout the day - like every 2 hours.

As Jim said: 

These issues are business requirements that drive solutions to meet them.

This means that you need to look at your recovery requirements, and then find a solution that meets that requirement.

If your company cannot afford any data loss, you need to look at clustering or replication solutions.

Vickie
Level 6

I'll suggest our client to schedule more than one in a day. Or having some mirroring for NBU DB, lets for which solution they will be comfortable.

Thanks for all your suggestion/assistance.