cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I globally disable all media server load sharing?

D_Flood
Level 6

I've tried the error 2101 articles and one of my domains still insists on using a media server that's at the end of a thin, long pipe to handle data that shouldn't get anywhere near the WAN.  Or if I make the documented changes then I start getting 2101's again.

What file or registry key do I need to create/edit to disable all media server load sharing (something that shouldn't be on by default to begin with).

And if one doesn't exist, how can I get an EEB written that turns it off?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

D_Flood
Level 6

Well..I finally got an answer.

Media Server load sharing can't be disabled without also disabling the ability to duplicate between media servers.

So that means for me that the remote Media Server is probably going to be decomissioned and then recomissioned as it's own domain (if I can convince my bosses).  Then the only thing that will use the WAN is AIR and when I'm making policy changes on the Master. 

In the short term I'm manually disabling the remote media server through the GUI and then using the command line to "active" or "inactive" the various SLP's.  The nice thing about that is that if you "inactive" an SLP then it inactivates it for future use also so backups occur but none of the remaining steps until the next time you do an "active" command.  I can then reenable the media server overnight to allow its backups to work.

By doing this then the duplication and AIR SLP's don't get assigned to the remote media server.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Are you referring to STUG load balanced group or Media Sharing?
Or maybe OST where 'incorrect'/unwanted media server is used for duplication and/or restore?
Please give more info about your environment?

**** EDIT ****

If OST, have a look at this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH87200

D_Flood
Level 6

Main site:

Master 7.1.0.4 on Windows 2008 - LTO2 tape drive

Media Server #1 - 7.1.0.4 on Windows 2008 - LTO4 tape changer

Appliance running 2.0.1 - main data storage that sometimes gets copied to one of the tapes for offsite (eventually AIR to a third site).

Remote Site:

Appliance running 2.0.1 that opt-dedups some of its backups to the main site appliance for "offsite"

The dratted load balancing randomly selects the remote site's appliance as the media server even when doing something as simple as duplicating an image from the Dedup pool to the PureDisk pool on the main site appliance.  Or duplicating from the Appliance to tape..

Since that means that all the data has to be sent to the remote site and then back, it wipes out the WAN link.

So...how can I tell NetBackup that whenever doing anything that already involves a Media Server, use that media server and only that media server not a third party that may be 500+ miles away?

I've taken a look at several of the articles and when I start trying to lock things down I end up with error 2101's all over the place.

I'm probably going to have to call about this one but the automated phone system just told me that the wait would be 20+ minutes to talk to the dispatcher and I can't seem to get the online ticket system to like me so I'll call them later today.  Worst case I'll have to decomission the remote appliance as a media server and recomission it as it's own domain...

D_Flood
Level 6

Well..I finally got an answer.

Media Server load sharing can't be disabled without also disabling the ability to duplicate between media servers.

So that means for me that the remote Media Server is probably going to be decomissioned and then recomissioned as it's own domain (if I can convince my bosses).  Then the only thing that will use the WAN is AIR and when I'm making policy changes on the Master. 

In the short term I'm manually disabling the remote media server through the GUI and then using the command line to "active" or "inactive" the various SLP's.  The nice thing about that is that if you "inactive" an SLP then it inactivates it for future use also so backups occur but none of the remaining steps until the next time you do an "active" command.  I can then reenable the media server overnight to allow its backups to work.

By doing this then the duplication and AIR SLP's don't get assigned to the remote media server.