cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does one work out when another Media Server is required?

Tim_Dile
Level 5
As above...

Also can a Solaris Media Server Easily Drive 6 LTO2 Drives?...

Thanks,
Tim
9 REPLIES 9

Tim_Dile
Level 5
Anyone got an Answer?...

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
It's easy to add new media server into NetBackup domain.
Just install NetBackup on new server, and specify master server on installation.
One more thing to do is to modify bp.conf in each server; add SERVER line(or MEDIA_SERVER line if you want to restrict operation on media server). You can do same from Serves section in Host Properties.
Don't forget restarting all server finally.

Tim_Dile
Level 5
Hi Yasuhisa,

Thanks for the reply but what i'm trying to find out is at what point does one bring another media server into the picture.

And if 6 LTO2 drives can manage on a sunfire v440?...

Thanks,
Tim

IP_Freely
Level 4
I just go to the gym and work out. I don't take the server with me ;)

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I'm poor at English, so I couldn't understand what you means.
What you need is basis of decision to add media server, correct?

Well, in past, Bob post link of useful article here. By the article, NetBackup needs 5MHz of SPARC for each 1MB/s stream.
But I forget it's URL. See the doc below instead.

http://www.datarecoveryclinic.com/data_recovery_whitepapers/data_loss_prevention.htm

Be sure this is just a white paper. More(or less) CPU MHz may be needed in your environment.
And you also have to consider about network and storage configs.
Data glows, and it becomes hard to handle with existing servers in backup window, add server.

> And if 6 LTO2 drives can manage on a sunfire v440?...

V440 can handle 6 drives, maybe.
Keep mind NIC or FC-HBA may become an bottleneck. 6 drives marks 300MB/s transfer in average. You need multiple physical path to data and storage.

Doug_Braden
Level 3
Partner
A few aspects of Sun backplanes to pay particular attention to includce the number of PCI slots, which slots are 33Mhz or 66Mhz and also which imbedded devices share bus slots on a particular bridge. For any Sun server the backplane's PCI configuration is described in a chapter called "About the PCI cards and Buses".

The Sun V440 would take a dual FC HBA ideally in slot 5 and a quad gig-E may be put in slot 2 or 4. Stuffing 3 dual FC HBA's into a V440 is probably not a good idea.

It would be nice to hear from anyone that has configured a V440 for service as a media server with the above mentioned PCI options. In closing, beware of putting a 33Mhz PCI adapter in a 66Mhz slot since it slows down any 66Mhz device to 33Mhz. And on the same token do not put a 66Mhz capable option into a 33Mhz slot. I know a guy that stuck a dual FC HBA into a 33Mhz slot and he wondered why the throughput to his disk array was awful.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Although this is titled for 6.0, there is a wealth of information that applies to ALL versions of Netbackup and even other products....

VERITAS NetBackup (tm) Enterprise Server / Server 6.0 Backup Planning and Performance Tuning Guide for UNIX, Windows, and Linux

http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/281842.pdf

Tim_Dile
Level 5
I'll have a good look at that as soon as I get a free moment.. Mondays are quite troublesome here! Thanks for the info.

Tim

Stumpr2
Level 6
And thank you for the points!