Source SQL = 2000

Source OS = 2000

Source NBU Client = 6.5.5

Destination

Destination SQL = 2005

Destination OS=2003

Destination NBU = 7.1

Problem

I have a successful encrypted backup. The encrypted backup made on the Netbackup Client. I want to do an alternate(on a different computer) restore the encrypted backup but failing.

I created the Keyfile on the alternate computer with the same passphrase(the passphrase which I type on the source computer where I took the backup).....I also test and copied the Keyfile directly from the source PC to the destination PC

Activity Monitor

1/12/2012 6:07:40 PM - Info dbclient(pid=5280) ERR - Error in VxBSAQueryObject: 17.       
1/12/2012 6:07:40 PM - Info dbclient(pid=5280)     CONTINUATION: - No object matched the specified predicate.
1/12/2012 6:07:44 PM - Info dbclient(pid=5280) ERR - Error in VDS->Close: 0x8077000d.       
1/12/2012 6:07:44 PM - Info dbclient(pid=5280) ERR - Error in GetCommand: 0x80770004.       
1/12/2012 6:07:44 PM - Info dbclient(pid=5280)     CONTINUATION: - All devices are open   
1/12/2012 6:07:44 PM - Info dbclient(pid=5280)     CONTINUATION: - An abort request is preventing anything except termination actions.
1/12/2012 6:07:44 PM - Info dbclient(pid=5280) INF - OPERATION #1 of batch C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\DbExt\MsSql\DB_Encrypt.bch FAILED with STATUS 1 (0 is normal). Elapsed time = 8(0) seconds.
1/12/2012 6:07:46 PM - Info dbclient(pid=5280) INF - Results of executing <C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\DbExt\MsSql\DB_Encrypt.bch>:      
1/12/2012 6:07:46 PM - Info dbclient(pid=5280) <0> operations succeeded. <1> operations failed.      

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

The encryption algorithm was updated with 7.0.1 and is not compatible with older NetBackup versions. 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH128638

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Confirm all the steps here:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO46794

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

I did the same.

I configured the alternate restore. Means the No. Restriction file is in place.....

Alternate NBU Client : Created a keyfile with the same pasphrase(the same passphrase which I used to create the KeyFile on the Source NBU Client)

Alternate NBU Client : I did not have any previously Keyfile generated. I always used to restoring non encrypted backups on this machine

Zahid_Haseeb

I also see the below error on the Netbackup Master/Media Server under bprd logs

18:07:36.774 [4432.3876] <2> db_valid_master_server: ALTERNATE_SERVER is not a valid server

Will_Restore
Level 6

ALTERNATE_SERVER should be the actual name of your client

Zahid_Haseeb

ALTERNATE_SERVER should be the actual name of your client

I did not understand what are you trying to say ? This is the name of my destination server where I am willing to restore the Encrypted backup images.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

There are just way too many differences between source and destination environment to just 'blame' encryption.

The entry that you saw in bprd is perfectly normal in a redirected restore and is not an error. Please post bprd log as attachment.

Suggestion:

Try 'baby steps':

First try to restore encrypted backup of OS/filesystem backup of same NBU version clients (e.g. 6.5 to 6.5 or 7.1 to 7.1). If that is successful, try a restore of OS/filesystem backup of 6.5 client to 7.1 client.

Some NBU options are 'sensitive' to version differences and do not always work as expected. Encrytion is probably one of them.

SQL restores from one SQL version to another can also be problematic (as you have experienced yourself last year).

Zahid_Haseeb

Restored successfull but

I took encrypted+compress backup from a NBU CLient 7.1 and restored it to version 7.1 and done successful. So the reason may be the NBU version difference:

backupEncrytion is probably one of them.

Any TN related to encryption which says that the NBU client version should be same while alternate restore.

Will_Restore
Level 6

just strikes as an odd name for server

Will_Restore
Level 6

The encryption algorithm was updated with 7.0.1 and is not compatible with older NetBackup versions. 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH128638

Will_Restore
Level 6

you're speechless for the past week?  angel