cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is VM Hostname determined when VM has multiple NICs

Mark_Newall
Level 3

Hello All,

I am using NetBackup 7.1.0.2 to backup our VMware infrastructure and am finding that the VM hostname displayed when I select Browse for Virtual Machines when adding a client is somewhat in consistent when the VM has multiple ethernet adapters. The VMs are running Windows and I have tried to correlate: Display Name; VMware Device Name; MAC Address; Windows Device Description; IP Address; DNS Name and Windows Bind Order. However non of these seem to correlate to the name chosen by NetBackup to display as the VM Hostname. 

Does anyone have a definitive explanation of how NetBackup determines the VM Hostname?

Your help as ever is much appreciated.

Regards,

Mark Newall

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VirtualED
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

I just wrote a technote for this yesterday.  Call support and ask for the following 7.1.0.2 binary ET2567597.

Problem

When performing a Browse for Virtual Machine operation within NetBackup. NetBackup uses the IP address returned from the vStorage call and performs a reverse lookup to determine the Name of the VM. Use this procedure to determine while IP address is returned currently:

www.symantec.com/docs/TECH164962

Cause

Currently Symantec uses the GuestInfo information returned from the VMware MOB. However when Aliases are configured on the NIC, this sometimes does not return the correct IP address. To address this Symantec has added the ability to use a new API call which will return the IP address listed at the top of all the IP addresses returned. This seems to return the correct IP address of the NIC with the highest binding order in the OS.

Solution

Symantec Corporation has acknowledged that the above-mentioned issue is present in the current version(s) of the product(s) mentioned at the end of this article. Symantec Corporation is committed to product quality and satisfied customers.
This issue is currently being considered by Symantec Corporation to be addressed in a forthcoming Maintenance Pack, Release Update, or version of the product. Please note that Symantec Corporation reserves the right to remove any fix from the targeted release if it does not pass quality assurance tests or introduces new risks to overall code stability. Symantec's plans are subject to change and any action taken by you based on the above information or your reliance upon the above information is made at your own risk. Please refer to the maintenance pack readme or contact NetBackup Enterprise Support to confirm this issue (ET2567597) was included in the maintenance pack.
As future maintenance packs and release updates are released, please visit the following link for download and readme information:
http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/support/downloads.jsp?pid=15143

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

VirtualED
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

I just wrote a technote for this yesterday.  Call support and ask for the following 7.1.0.2 binary ET2567597.

Problem

When performing a Browse for Virtual Machine operation within NetBackup. NetBackup uses the IP address returned from the vStorage call and performs a reverse lookup to determine the Name of the VM. Use this procedure to determine while IP address is returned currently:

www.symantec.com/docs/TECH164962

Cause

Currently Symantec uses the GuestInfo information returned from the VMware MOB. However when Aliases are configured on the NIC, this sometimes does not return the correct IP address. To address this Symantec has added the ability to use a new API call which will return the IP address listed at the top of all the IP addresses returned. This seems to return the correct IP address of the NIC with the highest binding order in the OS.

Solution

Symantec Corporation has acknowledged that the above-mentioned issue is present in the current version(s) of the product(s) mentioned at the end of this article. Symantec Corporation is committed to product quality and satisfied customers.
This issue is currently being considered by Symantec Corporation to be addressed in a forthcoming Maintenance Pack, Release Update, or version of the product. Please note that Symantec Corporation reserves the right to remove any fix from the targeted release if it does not pass quality assurance tests or introduces new risks to overall code stability. Symantec's plans are subject to change and any action taken by you based on the above information or your reliance upon the above information is made at your own risk. Please refer to the maintenance pack readme or contact NetBackup Enterprise Support to confirm this issue (ET2567597) was included in the maintenance pack.
As future maintenance packs and release updates are released, please visit the following link for download and readme information:
http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/support/downloads.jsp?pid=15143

Mark_Newall
Level 3

Thanks VirtualED, that was perfect timing. I have followed your Technote and this does indeed confirm why I get the VM Hostname that I do.

I'll get in touch with support now and get the ET.

Regards,

Mark