Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Integrate NBU with Netapp Snapmanager

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

Can help with a guide to integrate between Netapp Snapmanager for ORACLE and SAP and NBU. Want to understand how does it works and how to configure it.

Thanks

Nayab

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Are you going to write paticular snapshot path into File Selections like /vol/volX/.snapshot/snapshot.1stday? If I remember right(I'm not certain), it does not work as you expected. each snapshot has different FSID so contents in each snapshot has completely different from other days. Each incremental backup will work like full backup in this scenario.

If you specify active filesystem path like /vol/volX, incremental backup will work as expected. But if you want to go back to the point of paticular backups, you need to restore last full backup and subsequent incremental backups as like regular file backup in UNIX and Windows. 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NetBackup 7.5 introduced  NetBackup Replication Director.

In 7.5, only filesystem backups was supported. 
NBU 7.6 introduced support for VMware.

Database support is on the 'Roadmap'.

For now, you will have to stick with normal agent backups.

See these links for more info:

Video’s:

http://www.symantec.com/tv/products/details.jsp?vid=1483740597001

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/im-b13-netbackup-replication-director-unifies-end-end...

NetBackup Replication Director Digest. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH164644

jim_dalton
Level 6

Indeed Nayab, the info youve posted only and purely relates to Netapp and its relationship to SAP and ORA.

Thats not to say you cant leverage NDMP as well, but that would be Netapps call I'd think.

Jim 

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

One thing i would like to know if i am doing an NDMP backup of a Netapp Volume which will have Snapshots changing everyday and our pplan is to have Daily INcremental Backups and Weekly Full Backup will NBU backup the only changes Snaphsots Via NDMP ?? Please confirm.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

Not sure about snapshots taken by SnapManager, but for regular active user area, only changed file will be taken in incremental backups.

Please note that NDMP backup is file basis so unchanged part of changed files will also be backed up. If you serve LUNs on NetApp, whole area of each LUN will be backed up even in incremental backups.

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks for the reply...

For Ex:- If i have a volume containing 5 LUNS inside every time the data changes on these will be backed up as whole even in the INCR backups via NDMP ?

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Have any Document for this ? As i want to show it to my Customer :)

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

This topic is matter of NDMP and NetApp. Please check KB ID:3011604 on NetApp support site. NOW account is required to access KB articles.

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=3011604

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thx for the Doc :) 

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Yasuhisa,

I see from the KB that if i backup a LUN it will be a full sized what about if i backup a whole volume which has LUNS residing on it means i will chose the whole volume in the backup selections .what would be result then ?? 

Thanks,

Nayab

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

Modified files and LUNs in target volume will be backed up. LUNs are implemented based on files, so any activity in LUNs wil update modified time of container files of LUN.

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yasuhisa,

Jus one last question what if i have SNAPSHOTS on this volume i mean say if i have daily snapshots on this volume and the retention would be 7days which 

Snapshot.0 --> 1st day 

Snapshot.1--> 2nd day

Snapshot.2 -->3rd day

Snapshot.3 -->4th day

Snapshot.4 -->5th day

Snapshot.5 -->6th day

Snapshot.6 -->7th day

so as above i want only that particular day's snapshot to be backed up , will this happen through NDMP.

Now another question is restoration , how i will be able to restore it back say if i want to restore 2nd day snapshot alone can i restore it back i mean only that particular snapshot or i have to restore the whole volume ??. Please confirm.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

Are you going to write paticular snapshot path into File Selections like /vol/volX/.snapshot/snapshot.1stday? If I remember right(I'm not certain), it does not work as you expected. each snapshot has different FSID so contents in each snapshot has completely different from other days. Each incremental backup will work like full backup in this scenario.

If you specify active filesystem path like /vol/volX, incremental backup will work as expected. But if you want to go back to the point of paticular backups, you need to restore last full backup and subsequent incremental backups as like regular file backup in UNIX and Windows. 

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks a lot for your response , In this case is there any alternative in NBU i can use to backup my Snapshots as INCR and restore any particular snapshot when required ?? , I mean any plugins to use ??

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

Needs of full and subsequent incrementals is nature of incremental backups. No such magic except synthetic or accelerator backups - both is not suported in NDMP.