cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure Netbackup San Media in a Cluster

ESM_Admin
Level 4
Partner

I have experience of installing Netbackup client in cluster, however this time I have been tasked to install Netbackup San Media in cluster configuration and am a little lost on how to go about doing this.

I have installed and configured Netbackup San Media in standalone mode on both servers. 

Netbackup 6.5.6

Server 1

connected to Storage Unit Group A {Storage_Unit 1_TLD1 + Storage_Unit 1_TLD2 + Storage_Unit 1_TLD3}

Server 2

connected to Storage Unit Group B {Storage_Unit 2_TLD1 + Storage_Unit 2_TLD2 + Storage_Unit 2_TLD3}

I have - on both server1 and server2 in their cluster config... added the Backup IP addresses to each cluster group and updated the hosts files on both servers and master.

Question - 
1. how does netbackup know they are clustered
2. how will the storage units be configured.

--
Thanks,

ESM
10 REPLIES 10

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You can configure an 'Application Cluster' in NBU where a Storage Unit is created using the Virtual name. Have a look at Appendix D of the NBU HA Guide : Enhanced media server configuration

You will find all the nbemm commands to create the app_cluster.

ESM_Admin
Level 4
Partner

Thanks Marianne.

The steps in appendix D helps but I am still not clear on how to create the storage units.

Appendix D says -

Step 5: Use the Administration Console to create a storage unit for each application. Specify the virtual name of the application as media server name for the storage unit.

How can one create a STU from admin console of a virtual node? that would not work .. would it since there are no physical drives connected to the virtual... it's just a name.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You use the GUI on the master server to create (all) Storage Units. All device, media and storage unit config is stored in the emm database on the master, not on any of the media servers.

The tape drives (devices) are still configured using the physical hostnames.

A virtual hostname and IP is simply a secondary name and IP that is active on the physical node where the cluster is online. So, the virtual name and IP isn't something that 'hangs in the air' - if you logon to the virtual cluster name and check the online IP addresses ('ipconfig /all' on Windows) you will see the virtual and physical IP address.

So, if you, a user, NBU, another app, etc. etc. connects to the virtual hostname, it will connect to the physical host where the cluster is active.

The same happens when you backup clustered clients - when you backup the shared data, you config the virtual name in the policy. So, NBU still backs up the physical host where physical drives are mounted. The virtual hostname is used to get to the actual node where the cluster/storage is online without you needing to change the policy each time that the cluster fails over...

Hope this is clear?

Itegral
Level 6

Marianne - the above makes sense.

In the HA guide ir says;

On each node where the media server is installed, make the following changes to the Servers list.

a Add the hostname for each node of the cluster.

b Add the virtual name for each highly available application.

5 Use the Administration Console to create a storage unit for each application. Specify the virtual name of the application as media server name for the storage unit.

I am trying to set up a backup for Exchange 2007 CCR cluster (passive node) using NBU 7.0.1.

While I have already added the nodes and virtual name of the cluster in the servers list (under Host - Master - Servers) on Master Server, how can I add the same on the Media nodes under the same location? Its already there!!

Also, When I am trying to create a Storage Unit for CCR cluster - only the EMM name is appearing in the Media servers list. How shall I specify the virtual name of the Exchange 2007 cluster?

Barbaros_Kilic
Level 3

Hi ,

firstly you must do this for cluster node;

On the master server, make the following changes to the Servers list. a Add the hostname for each node of the cluster. b Add the virtual name for each highly available application.

a Run the following command to add a host with the virtual name of the application:
nbemmcmd -addhost -machinename virtual_name -machinetype app_cluster where virtual_name is the virtual name of the application.
b Run the following command to associate the host with each node on which the application runs in the cluster:
nbemmcmd -updatehost -add_server_to_app_cluster -machinename node_name -machinetype
media -clustername virtual_name -netbackupversion 7.0.1 -masterserver master_name

after that on the gui, while you are creating STU, you will see cluster name in "Media Server" section.

Itegral
Level 6

The command in 'a' completed successfully but 'b' said, the command did not complete successfully.

What may be the reason - not giving me any errors!

However, when I ran the nbemmcmd -listhost command on the Master server, it gave me the list of server, master, 2 media servers (exchange 2007 nodes) and app_cluster.

If I select "new storage unit" and "storage unit type" as Disk then I am able to see both the Cluster nodes, virtual name and Master/Media server in the drop down list.

Also, when I look at the Media and Device Management -> Devices -> Media Servers -> my SAN media servers are "active for Disk". When I right click, the option to enable FT is grayed out.

Itegral
Level 6

managed to sort out the issue - it was a stupid licnesing issue.

We were given media server licneses for "SAN media server" instead of enterprise client.

Barbaros_Kilic
Level 3

if command in "a"  completed, you can create storage unit name with cluster ( virtual ) name, did you try this?

Itegral
Level 6

yes - resolved, even though the SAN through-put is not fantastic. Jobs ending with avg 30MB/s

Barbaros_Kilic
Level 3

SAN speed slow it may be depend on disk performance or cpu, you can check storage or OS side.

if problem solved, pls close the issue on the forum.

thanks.