cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure netbackup 7.1 FT media server and SAN client

demo4119
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Can i configured my Netbackup media server as FT media server ?

It is a must to use the Support HCL HBA Model from Qlogic for FT media and San client?

How to zoning the both FT media and San clinet HBA port together?

7 REPLIES 7

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

Netbackup media server as FT media server ? -- Yes, but EMM and FT media should on different host.

Support HCL HBA Model from Qlogic for FT media and San client? --- Yes, only Qlogic is supported.

to zoning the both FT media and San clinet HBA port together? -- Need to know more details on this.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

netbackup 7.1 SAN client and Fibre Transport Guide

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3658

OS supported (Cut and past from the NBU 7.1 HCL):

1. Linux FT Media Servers require RHEL 4 x86-64 Update 3, RHEL 4 x86-64 Update 5, RHEL 5.0 x86-64, RHEL 5 x86-64 Update 2, RHEL 5 x86-64 Update 3, or SLES 10 SP2. RHEL 5 x86-64 Updates 4, 5, 6 and 7 are supported with the procedure documented in KB Article <http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH72795.> SLES 10
SP3 is supported with NetBackup 7.1 and later. Other RHEL and SLES versions are not supported as an FT Media Server.

Zoning:

You zone the client HBA to the "tagged" port on the FT media server. When you "tag" a FC port it changes from initator to a target port mode. The FC port then show up as a "ARCHIVE  Python" tape device in the FC switch. So in theory you zone a client HBA to a "virtual" tape device.

The NBU 7.1 SAN client and Fibre Transport guide show how to "tag" a FC port.

demo4119
Level 6

Currently i have  Media server as SLES 11 and Windows 2008 R2 . Can those be use as Media server and FT media ?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Sorry - you can't. The FT media servers support is vary narrow due to the special code being downloaded to the FC HBA cards.

Supported FT media servers are :

RHEL 4 x86-64 Update 3

RHEL 4 x86-64 Update 5

RHEL 5.0 x86-64

RHEL 5 x86-64 Update 2

RHEL 5 x86-64 Update 3

RHEL 5 x86-64 Updates 4, 5, 6 (see http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH72795 )

SLES 10 SP2.

SLES 10 SP3 is supported with NetBackup 7.1 and later

demo4119
Level 6

I will take noted.

and the Qlogic Model must be in supported list for FT media server .

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Yes - Since special firmaware is downloaded in the FC HBA adapter only a limited range are supported.

Tez
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi,

Does anyone know if or when Symantec is going to support FT Media Server on a Windows Server Platform?

I have many customers running a Windows ONLY environment and the introduction of a Linux/Unix server to run Fibre Transport Services goes against many customers wanting only Windows in their environment.

The only solution/workaround I have at the moment is to propose NBU5220 Appliances as the Media Servers so I can run FT Media Server.

Thanks Terry