Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to exlcude ~snapshot from backups

Arshad_Khateeb
Level 5
Certified
Master SunOS 5.10 UNIX Master Server 6.5.6 Connected
Client Windows2003 5 Windows Client 6.5.3 Connected

We backups CIFs shares mounted on Windows Client. I know how to exclude a snapshot for a Solaris box like having .snaphot in exclude list but just want to verify if it needs to be same for Windows client as well where we are backing up the shares in format \\atlas\groups and so on. PFA, the image showing that the ~snapshot are getting backed up. I just want to exclude them ?!?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You can point your management to Gartner reports. About Exclude List - why not try ~snapshot? Ensure bpbkar log folder exists on the Win2003 server to see how Exclude List is interpreted.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6
Oh no! Not NBU 6.5! Not Windows 2003! Why are you running backup software that ran out of support more than 3 years ago? Why using OS that is no longer supported by Microsoft?

Arshad_Khateeb
Level 5
Certified

smiley

You're right Marianne that we are running with old software and OS.

We've proposed NBU upgrade to bussiness for this year's budget and we are in discussion phase with Veritas and had a meeting last week. Bussiness want us to prove them how is NBU better than other Backup Products (Could you share your personal experience and thoughts?)

MicroSoft OS upgrade project is also going on in phases. The above mentioned client will be upgraded to 2008 R2 in next couple of weeks.

The reason i have asked this concern is to avoid unwanted data (that's in huge) going to tape and impacting other backups to stand in queue and fail.

Thanks Marianne !!!

Will_Restore
Level 6

NetBackup is #1 enterprise backup product.  Here's why:

https://www.veritas.com/product/backup-and-recovery/netbackup.html

Marianne
Level 6
You can point your management to Gartner reports. About Exclude List - why not try ~snapshot? Ensure bpbkar log folder exists on the Win2003 server to see how Exclude List is interpreted.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

This is fairly compelling.  The track record in Veritas' (Symantec's) investment in development of additional functionality to meet changing IT and business needs and practices is quite impressive:

https://www.veritas.com/content/dam/Veritas/docs/data-sheets/21349381_GA_ENT_DS-Top-reasons-to-upgrade-to-netbackup-7.7-EN.pdf

And, SLPs... what a god send they are.   Please, just stop for a moment... and think about SLPs.  You'll have to agree they're pretty neat.  Does anyone else do it quite so well?

And see Marianne's point regarding the functionality detail of NetBackup per-se and appliances in general:

17 Feb 2016

Arshad_Khateeb
Level 5
Certified

Thank you all for your valuable inputs on why one should go for NetBackup.

I really appreciate for your time to share your experience and thoughts!