Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to kill hung jobs

Satkay_Satish
Level 5
Certified
Hello Experts,
I regulary come across hung backups in Netbackup, is there a way of getting rid of this without bouncing NBU services.

Regards,
$atkay
10 REPLIES 10

AKopel
Level 6
Yep,
a couple of ways:
1) Try killing the bpbkar process on the client
2) Next try killing the BPBRM Process on the media server (Note, this may kill multiple jobs)
3) Last ditch, kill BPTM process on media server.

This usually does the trick for me:

Thanks!
Aaron

Stumpr2
Level 6
Just patiently wait for a quiescent period in Netbackup and the application will clean them up by itself.

Satkay_Satish
Level 5
Certified
Hi Bob,
I have noticed that jobs don't go and only after recycling the services these are gone.

Regards,
Satish.

Stumpr2
Level 6
They get cleaned up as part of the catalog backup cleanup process which normally runs when a quiescent period occurs.

Here is a quote from Mr. Parker

"Bob's right.
I get phantom jobs like this from time to time (usually when I'm mucking about with something incorrectly on the command line).

If the job is Active and won't stop, you'll need to stop and start the NetBackup services.
After that, the job will be stopped (with a status code 50, I think). Then you can delete it."Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
These may be helpful -

How to manually remove from the NetBackup Activity Monitor which are in a queued state, and cannot be canceled or killed, or removed by cycling the NetBackup services/daemons

http://support.veritas.com/docs/278498

Extended procedures for canceling jobs that appear to be .
http://support.veritas.com/docs/272994

Satkay_Satish
Level 5
Certified
Hello Aaron, kill bpbkar worked.

Mindaugas_Lauci
Level 5
Is it possible to decrease quiescent period? If yes where?

Thanks

AKopel
Level 6
Good to hear Satish!
Make sure to mark you question as 'answered' and assign any 'helpful' or 'correct' answers!
There are lots of 'hard working' question answerers that work for points on this forum :)

Aaron

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
I normaly run this in my unix boxes and a takes a while to get a hung job again

Check bpjobd is up and restart it: nohup bpjobd &
if dont works restart services or deamons
netbackup stop
ipcs -qa: list process that still are running
ipcrm -a : stops hanged process

Once all message queues are cleared you will want to delete the worklist files and the *lock files from /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpsched.d. Do the following in that directory:

rm /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpsched.d/worklist.*
rm /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpsched.d/*.lock

netbackup start

Hope this helps.
Regards

Ankur_Kumar_3
Level 3
I hope this helps

Document ID: 278498
http://support.veritas.com/docs/278498 E-Mail this document to a colleague

DOCUMENTATION: How to manually remove jobs from the NetBackup Activity Monitor which are in a queued state, and cannot be canceled or killed, or removed by cycling the NetBackup services/daemons.
NetBackup DataCenter 4.5 System Administrator's Guide for Windows
NetBackup 5.0 System Administrators Guide for UNIX, Volume I
NetBackup 5.0 System Administrators Guide for Windows, Volume I
NetBackup 5.1 System Administrators Guide for UNIX, Volume I
NetBackup 5.1 System Administrators Guide for Windows, Volume I

Page: N/A

Modification Type: Supplement.

Modification:
If there are jobs which appear "hung" in the NetBackup Activity Monitor, it is possible a stop and restart of the NetBackup services/daemons may not clear them. If a queued job cannot be canceled or killed, note the job ID (for the example, assume the job ID 397084), and then do the following:

1. When there are no backup or restore jobs running, stop all NetBackup services/daemons on the master server
2. Delete any files with 397084 in the name from the /usr/openv/netbackup/db/jobs/trylogs/ and /usr/openv/netbackup/db/jobs/ffilelogs/ directories on the master server (the \veritas\netbackup\db\jobs\trylogs and \veritas\netbackup\db\jobs\ffilelogs directories on a Windows master server).
3. Delete the /usr/openv/netbackup/db/jobs/bpjobd.act.db file (the \veritas\netbackup\db\jobs\bpjobd.act.db file on a Windows master server)
4. Restart the NetBackup services/daemons

Because the bpjobd.act.db file contains active and queued jobs, deleting it will only remove the unwanted job, since no other jobs were running at the time that the NetBackup services/daemons were stopped. Completed jobs are stored in bpjobd.db file, so do not remove it.

ciao
Ankur Kumar